Radeon X800 Pro graphics card AGP memory query

CurlyWhirly 13:54 16 Jun 05

I have the Radeon X800 Pro graphics card with 256 mb of video memory however after running 3D Mark 05 last night I noticed that I only have 128 Mb of AGP memory!

I think it's still there as in my screenshot I have 256 Mb displayed by the side of the following 2 entries: 'Total Local Video Memory' and 'Total Local Texture Memory'.

What's the difference between the above 2 types of memory and AGP memory?
I thought that video RAM was all the same?
Also why is there a difference in the memory size for AGP?
Just curious.

click here

djwheeler 14:17 16 Jun 05

Don't know if this will help:

click here

CurlyWhirly 14:22 16 Jun 05

Thanks for the link but what I mean is that I hadn't heard of 'Total Local Video Memory' and 'Total Local Texture Memory' before and was just wondering why these RAM totals were double the size of the AGP memory total?

It's not that important as my graphics card is in perfect working order but I was just a little surprised by this that's all! ;0)

CurlyWhirly 14:30 16 Jun 05

I will tick this as resolved as I have done a bit of Googling and have come to the conclusion that everything is in order as below is an actual post of someone's specs on a forum and they too have the same RAM sizes as me on each of the 3 different memory types.

Display Device 1/1OcUK RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition

Driver RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc. *Total Local Video Memory 256 MB* *Total Local Texture Memory 256 MB* *Total AGP Memory 128 MB* Driver File ati2dvag.dll Driver Version Driver Details 8.082-041130a-019577C-ATI Driver Date 11-30-2004 Driver WHQL Certified true Max Texture Width 2048 px

I have added the * to make it a bit easier to read.

gudgulf 14:32 16 Jun 05

The 128MB is referring to the BIOS setting for system memory reserved for use by the AGP bus.It doesn't refer to the actual physical memory of the graphics card(thats the other two figures you mention)which is correct at 256MB.

Don't worry that there are two different settings...your system is fine as it is.click here for a brief explaination of the AGP memory size.

CurlyWhirly 14:49 16 Jun 05

Just found out the solution click here and scroll down to the article "Doesn't add up" just over half way down the page.

In the article it mentions that:

"You won't, however, necessarily see the right number when you look at the info display in 3DMark, or in other utilities like Nvidia's AGP memory display application. Your AGP aperture probably is set correctly but graphics card drivers often can't figure out the right value, and deliver some semi-random number. Sometimes the reported value is zero bytes.

Don't worry about it, though. If it's wrong, it's just a cosmetic problem."

The mystery is solved!

CurlyWhirly 14:50 16 Jun 05

Cheers gudgulf.
Interesting link. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…