Radeon x800 graphic card help please

banzaimatrix 20:07 07 Nov 07

I needed to update my graphic card driver so i downloaded the ATI Catalyst™ 7.10 Display Driver for Windows XP Professional/Home Edition. I deleted the old ati drivers and restarted my comp and installed the new ones. But a gamne demo i tried did not work, i noticed when i go to display properties>screensaver a simple thing like 3d flowerbox comes up with " No Preview Available". But i can play Medal of honour online as normal but not the crysis demo which should run on my card. I cant figure out what is not set on my gfx card for the reason im getting no 3d image on the screensaver.
I really hope someone can help because ive been pulling my hair out for 3 days and want to get the new COD on friday.

umbongo(uk) 23:35 07 Nov 07

ok try this uninstall the driver
run this cleaner
click here
select ati , use the arrow to move it over , then click the brush icon top left to get rid of any files left over from uninstall

just download the display driver not the whole catalyst suite install !!
then post back

wotbus@ 08:52 08 Nov 07

You could relieve some stress just by doing a System Restore back to the point where you removed your "old" ATI drivers. In Device Manager, you could try rolling back the drivers - and/or - uninstalling the card then next time you boot up windows will find it and you can install the drivers from the wizard. You could also try uninstalling everything ATI and physically removing the the card. (not much good if you don't have on-board graphics to use meantime) - then start again from scratch.
General rule of thumb is install the software first then the hardware.
IMHO I don't think you will see a difference between the latest and previous Catalyst drivers.

banzaimatrix 18:31 08 Nov 07

Cheers for the replys, i tried what you said umbongo but no luck at all. Had a quick chat with a friend and he suggested using a tool called nasty file remover for getting rid of the ATI stuff and use the omega drivers instead of the ones from ATI's website. And now it works a treat.

umbongo(uk) 22:12 08 Nov 07

if that one didnt work i was gonna suggest
dh driver cleaner pro

click here

there are quite few driver clean up programs around

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac