Radeon X800 GPU temperature query

CurlyWhirly 20:44 14 Jan 06

Does anyone know if 70c is too high for a graphics card GPU?

I just happened to come across ATI Tool from click here and when run at default memory and core speeds it reaches 70c after only around 2 minutes of running the test!

See my screenshot below:

click here

I can get away with a slight overclock using ATI Tool but when I do this the GPU temperature reaches 75c!

MY PC doesn't crash or BSOD though but since discovering that my GPU temperature can get into the mid 70's when it's busy (using the temperature monitor that is part of ATI Tool), it is a little worrying.

I tried to find out the maximum core temperature of the R420 but I couldn't find any reference to it.

I wonder whether nVidia or ATI publish the data?

For example when I find this website click here I was able to get the following data:

Radeon X800 official specs

1. Chip codenamed R420
2. 130nm technology (TMSC, low-k, copper connections)
3. 180 million transistors
4. FC case (flip chip with no metallic cover)
5. 256-bit memory interface
6. Up to 512 MB of DDR/GDDR-2/GDDR-3 memory
7. AGP 3.0 8x bus interface (also the PCI-Express version of the R423 chip)
8. 16 pixel processors, each having one texture unit (X800 PRO - 12 pipelines)
9. Calculates, blends, and writes up to 16 full (colour, depth, stencil buffer) pixels per clock
10. Calculates and writes up to 32 values of depth and stencil buffer per clock
11. Supports a two-way stencil buffer
12. MSAA 2x/4x/6x, with flexibly programmed countdown patterns. Compression of frame and Z buffers in MSAA modes. Possibility to change MSAA patterns from one frame to another (Temporal AA);
13. Up to 16x anisotropic filtering
14. 6 vertex processors
15. All necessary things to support pixel and vertex shaders version 2.0
16. Additional capabilities of pixel shaders based on 2.0.b, the extended version of 2.0
17. Additional capabilities of vertex shaders higher than 2.0
18. New texture compression technique optimised to compress two-component cards of normals (so-called 3Dc, 4:1 compression).
19. Supports rendering into floating-point buffers with FP16 and FP32 precision per component.
20. Supports 3D and FP texture formats
21. MRT
22. 2 RAMDAC 400 MHz
23. 2 DVI interfaces
24. TV-Out and TV-In interface (interface chips required)
25. Programmable video processing - pixel processores are used for streaming video processing (compression, decompression, and post-processing tasks)
26. 2D accelerator supporting all GDI+ functions

This seems to tell me just about everything about the R420 *except* the normal core temperature!

Am I worrying about nothing or should I be concerned?

Thanks.

CurlyWhirly 20:49 14 Jan 06

Sorry for some reason my above screenshot doesn't work.

click here

CurlyWhirly 20:51 14 Jan 06

Oops!
Too small and no preview to test it before posting.

click here

CurlyWhirly 20:52 14 Jan 06

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Final attempt.

CurlyWhirly 08:52 15 Jan 06

Obviously it is nothing to worry about as I don't get crashes or freezes so I will tick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…