Radeon X700 compatability

DeeW 22:25 06 Feb 07

Does anyone know if the Radeon X700 card is compatable with the BenQ FP241W which has a resolution of 1920x1200? I am having difficulty confirming this.

Totally-braindead 23:28 06 Feb 07

Any graphics card is compatible with a monitor. Do you want to know if the monitor and graphics card will both display at a resolution of 1920 x 1200? Is that what you mean?

DeeW 23:39 06 Feb 07

Yes Braindead, I want to know whether my X700 and a benq fp241w will work together at a resolution of 1900 x 1200

Totally-braindead 23:42 06 Feb 07

The monitor can run at that resolution but I could only find one X700 graphics card, its less than £40 so is very basic. It might go that high but if it did it would be so slow as to be unuseable.
Do you know what you are asking?
Resolution is adjustable. You do not have to run the monitor at the highest resolution it is capable of. You can run it at anything you like up to the highest resolution.
You could run the graphics card and the monitor at 800 x 600 for instance.

Totally-braindead 23:45 06 Feb 07

Because it is such a basic card I would think that even if the graphics card would go to such a high resolution it would be so slow it would be like treacle.
If you really have to have this high a resolution I think you would need a more powerful card and if you wanted to run any moving images such as a video or a game you would need a really good powerful card.

DeeW 23:55 06 Feb 07

Braindead
The x700 will display at up to 2048 x 1536. I am worried about the type of dvi connector on the graphics card. I think its a dvi-i and I think a dvi-i cable which only supports outputs to 1600 x 1200. If i connect a dvi-d cable to this and to the benq which is dvi-d will this work at the required resolution.

Totally-braindead 00:05 07 Feb 07

I haven't a clue I'm afraid. I have not heard that there is a maximum resolution for a DVI cable. I assumed perhaps wrongly that it would display up to the max that the monitor and the graphics card could handle.
Just had a look on the web and it appears you are right click here
Do you mind me asking what you use that makes such a high resolution so necessary?
That graphics card will really struggle with some moving images at such high resolutions and as far as games are concerned especially the newer ones you can forget it. It might play most of them at 800 x 600 if you cut down some detail options but thats the best you can hope for.
Why do you want to go so high?

DeeW 00:09 07 Feb 07

I want it for editing and displaying photographs in fine detail.

DeeW 00:14 07 Feb 07

I intend to upgrade my graphics card eventually but wanted to get started with my existing card. I was wondering if I used a dvi-d cable to connect the two then i would get the 1920x 1200 resolution. I am using a dvi-d cable at the moment to connect my current monitor and the graphics card and this works ok but this is at 1280 x 1024

Totally-braindead 00:17 07 Feb 07

I notice the monitor you are looking at also has HDMI as an input I couldn't find the maximum resolution of that but perhaps that might go higher. But I assume that you would need a graphics card with a HDMI output.
I say assume as I just don't know to be honest.
I also have my doubts as to whether the graphics card is powerful enough. It may be because you aren't talking about moving images you are talking about stills.
I just don't know this is new to me.
I'll just have to leave you now and hope someone else can help cos I'm out of my depth with this.
Heres the spec of the monitor you mentioned in case you don't have it click here sadly I couldn't find the spec for the graphics card as its fairly old as graphics card go nowadays.
Good luck.

Totally-braindead 00:22 07 Feb 07

Sorry I couldn't help. If you don't get an answer tonight then just type "bump" or "anyone help" or whatever to put your posting back up to the top tommorrow night when hopefully someone who knows more about it will answer. Appologies for my posting at 23.42 but I did wonder if you were new and thought it had to run at the maximum resolution of the monitor. You didn't say what you wanted to do so thats what I thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac