Radeon x1600 - cannot load drivers (winXP) !!!

Heefie 20:09 19 Nov 06

I am pulling my hair out here ... I installed a brand new video card & the system booted first time, everything looked good, but then when I tried to load the video drivers I ran into problems ... and the PC is as slow as Teddy Sheringham's legs for about an hour ... then it's (reasonably) OK !!!

I ran the driver install on the CD and it failed, so I downloaded the latest drivers from the web site, but they fail for exactly the same reason. I get the message "SEVERE - Setup was unable to install the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

I have, as far as I know, no previous graphics drivers to uninstall and I have tried loading the drivers via Device Manager as well as running the SETUP program, always with the same results.

So, firstly, any ideas on what's wrong, and secondly, how on earth do I "setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver" ?!?!? I am not given the option when I try to update or install drivers of anything other than those of the new card !!!

brundle 20:17 19 Nov 06

Remove the catalyst (?) drivers, reboot and allow Windows to install the card as `Standard VGA`, even if it says `cannot find drivers for this hardware`, reboot, disable antivirus software (disconnect from the net too) and try installing the drivers again.
Make sure DirectX is up to date too; click here

Heefie 20:30 19 Nov 06

About an hour, it's ridiculous !!!!

Everything *should* be up to date, I only rebuilt the thing a couple of months ago & I had a video card go bad on me, so I had an old one in, hence this upgrade ...I have Windows Update running all the time ... just ran it, no updates needed !!!

woodchip 20:46 19 Nov 06

Do this, Copy the Drivers on the CD to the Desktop, then restart Computer in Safe Mode this will only load VGA drivers. Now run the Setup File for the new Graphics card from the Desktop Coppy

Heefie 20:57 19 Nov 06

... I'm going to delete what drivers are there, I already have the latest version on the HD, and I'm going to reboot into Safe Mode ... son't expect to hear from me again tonight, LOL, Safe Mode is slower than me (I tried earlier but got bored waiting !!!), let alone Teddy Sheringham <g> !!!

Heefie 09:28 20 Nov 06

I ran the setup in Safe Mode and it fell over with the message "Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit."

However, the 2 entries in the Device Manager are now showing as disabled with red crosses rather than with the yellow triangle, so at least the PC is running OK !!!

brundle 15:10 20 Nov 06

Try another card (if you have one), try the current card in another PC (if possible) or try some earlier drivers.

Heefie 07:07 23 Nov 06

... my thinking exactly !!! Just looking into an exchange now, thanks for all your help guys.

Rosalie86 09:40 21 Mar 07

I seem to have the same sort of problem!!! Trying to load the drivers for the external video card but it comes up saying the I need to set up the vga!!! I thought if the vga wasn't working then you wouldn't see anything on the screen!!

Any ideas!!!
Would be grateful for any help...

1832bchs 09:51 21 Mar 07

Try installing the driver from Device Manager. Opt to upgrade the driver and then choose to tell Windows which driver you want. Browse to the new driver and click on the "inf" file. Worked for me.

Rosalie86 20:06 21 Mar 07

Thanks for getting back to me so quick!!! I've looked in the Device manager and see no option to upgrade the driver!! I can even see a driver... mmmmmmmmmmm!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now