Radeon series 7000 graphics card 64M PCI

Craig.m 17:44 13 Jan 07

Having recently bought a graphics card for the secondary PC (AMD 1.4 running XP Pro with 512M of RAM), it no longer plays video or plays games that would run when it had a 32M card in.

Have installed the software supplied and updated drivers from the web yet on booting a game it will work on all the lead in displays then at the UI it beeps and gives the error report sending screen.

Yes it is an old machine but it is for the kids and has given pretty good service, any ideas what could have caused this problem and how I can overcome it until funds allow for this machine to be replaced? One of the games is an MS game and worked fine before.

jay.p 18:28 13 Jan 07

did you uninstall the old drivers first

Craig.m 18:39 13 Jan 07

Not sure - one of the kids did the whole thing, so probably not. Can you go in and identify the old ones?

jay.p 18:57 13 Jan 07

in control panel > add or remove . uninstall ati related software. if your old card was a radeon as well, then that takes care of it. if not look for programmes related to your old card and remove them. shut down your pc and reseat your new card just incase. then reboot and then re install your drivers.
afterthought... you can insert your driver disc that came with your card as there is an option to remove ati software on it. ( was on mine anyway)

Stuartli 19:03 13 Jan 07

The graphics card is probably not seated correctly.

I would advise starting from scratch by just downloading the ATi driver only from the website:

click here

and then the ATi Tray Tools software from:

click here

which is a fraction of the size of the Catalyst ATi equivalent, yet has similar capabilities.

After uninstalling the current drivers, run this freeware:

click here

to get rid of all the previous ATi entries.

Then install the new driver and ATi Tray Tools.

It works well for my Radeon 9550.

Useful reading:

click here

Craig.m 19:54 14 Jan 07

Am presently on a Radeon but not sure what the old one was and can't find anything in the programmes listing, will have a go at reseating the card as above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…