radeon or nvidia

chippy+ 19:53 13 Sep 07

hi can anyone tell me what would be best a radeon
ATI RADEON 256MB 9550 DDR TV DVI or NVIDIA 256 2600
both are in my price range the cards will not be used for games but will be used for vista in the future thanks chippy

Technotiger 19:58 13 Sep 07

Just personal preference, but I would go for the Radeon.

interzone55 21:07 13 Sep 07

I almost always plump for nVidia, mainly due to driver support.

I've always found nVidia to have much more reliable drivers.

Again, that's just my personal preference

holme 21:29 13 Sep 07

We agree with Alan14 on the basis that our two most recent machines both had probs with the Radeon X1600SE graphics cards. Both replaced with GeForce 8500GT - no more probs (fingers crossed).

Totally-braindead 21:35 13 Sep 07

I'm a Nvidia fan but, the ATI 9550 is a basic card and I have never heard of a 2600 Nvidia card, do you not mean a 6200?
Of the two I don't think there would be that much between them, assumming they are the same price I would probably go for the 6200.
But I have to point out that thesedays the cards you list are poor. Better than onboard graphics but not by a huge amount. I don't know why you are upgrading but you'd better make sure these cards are sufficient for what you want.
Regarding Vista they are both above the minimum but thats not to say they would be any good for it.

chippy+ 23:07 13 Sep 07

Hi thanks to all for your opinions firstly I have 3 pc's of different ages the latest is a foxcon with a 3800 athlon dual chanell which has a nvidia 6100 onboard card, no 2 is a asrock with a sempron 1600 (2.200)
and a nvidia mx440 card, and 3rd is a amd duron 1500 with onboard graphics all I want to do is upgrade for vista and tft monitors I know the duron model due to the gigabyte board and duron will not really be suitable for vista thanks again Chippy.

Stuartli 23:35 13 Sep 07

I have an ATi 9550 graphics card (Sapphire brand).

It does all I require (obviously the latest games are a no-no), but updating drivers has never presented any problems.

However, rather than the ATi Catalyst package, I use the basic ATi driver plus the ATi Tray Tools package - far smaller download and with pretty much the same outcome. See:

click here

The basic display driver can be downloaded from the AMD/ATi website:

click here

It's also well worth reading the Tweak Guides to ATi (and nVidia if appropriate) at:

click here

nVidia at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5