Radeon or Geforce

in the gutter 21:50 24 Feb 06

Hi,I'm looking to upgrade graphics card.CPU is a Pentium 4 3.4ghz.Is there any recommended make of card for a pentium or does'nt it matter.Also i'm looking to spend about £100, any recommendations. Was thinking of getting a PNY Verto GeForce 6 6600GT AGP from Ebuyer for £97.Ta

ade.h 22:38 24 Feb 06

Having had cards from both, I prefer the smoother 2D appearance of nVidia cards. ATI seems to produce a rougher image.

Don't know if that'll make any difference to you.

Mr Beeline 22:50 24 Feb 06

Hi

As you are still on AGP, you are a little short on choice.

At that price range, the 6600GT makes sense. Though for similar money you could get a Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) if you fancy an ATI card.

Though probably not a lot in it.

Good luck...

Stuartli 23:49 24 Feb 06

I've just upgraded my motherboard to an MSI KT6V - my original nVidia graphics card didn't want to know it and kept blanking out online.

A switch to a Sapphire ATi graphics card cured it instantly.

Yet earlier last year, when I got an ATi graphics card to go with another new motherboard, it produced some remarkable onscreen displays.

A switch to an nVidia card cured it....:-)

You just can't tell until you've tried out the card with your particular combination.

To change the topic slightly, my DTV PCI TV card won't work properly with the MSI DT6V motherboard...:-(

I too would like to replace my leadtek geforce ti3 200 but I am confused by all the 2x,4x, 8x references to AGP slots. I believe my asus A7A266E board has an AGP Pro socket does this mean x2?

aca 08:17 25 Feb 06

amdram

Your A7A266E board has a 4x AGP slot. I am by no means an experrt but pretty sure that you will be able to use 8x AGP card on it. This will function fine but only at 4x AGP.

The actual impact upon performance will be hardly noticed between 8x and 4x.

Just need to check when you look at cards to make sure that they will run on 4x AGP, most will.

Stuartli 09:15 25 Feb 06

I used an 8X AGP graphics card on a 4x AGP mobo for several months with no problems - the actual difference between 4x and 8x AGP is not linear and the latter provides approximately 10 per cent performance improvement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video