Radeon HD 4350 Vs On Board HD 3200 GPU

joebloggs1 17:15 01 Nov 09

Just built myself a new PC. Used a motherboard bundle from CCL that consists of Athlon 2 x4 620 processor on an ASUS M4A78-EM motherboard with 4GB ram. Put on Windows 7 and everything is up and running and seems fine.
However I also bought a XFX Radeon HD 4350 (512mb) graphics card. I know this is a budget card, but don’t play games on the PC.
When I first put the PC together I left the graphics card out and ran the Windows Experience Index to rate the PC. The Graphics were rated at 4.1 and the Gaming Graphics at 4.8.
I then installed the graphics card and re-ran the Experience Index and it had gone down to 3.8 and 4.6 respectively.
I then up-dated the drivers to Windows 7 and no the scores are 3.8 and 5.7.

So my question is, have I wasted my money on the graphics card and would have been better off just using the on-board graphics, or is the windows 7 Experience Index score misleading in some way

woodchip 19:11 01 Nov 09

Is it using the New Card?

User-1229748 19:16 01 Nov 09

i have that same card and it shows 4.1 and 5.9 all i can really suggest is to re-run the assessment and if no joy then leave it a couple of days then run it again.when i had vista updating drivers was the only thing that changed the scores.

woodchip 19:22 01 Nov 09

Looks like you wasted your Money

joebloggs1 21:24 02 Nov 09

One thing that is interesting about this is the difficulty cutting through the advice on the Internet when trying to research this.

I spent ages deciding which components to buy and trying to read up, but I find graphics to be the most difficult area - it is always bogged down by people wanting to spend loads on cards for games.

I didn't want to spend loads on a card, knowing my gaming requirements are practically nil, but eventaully opted for a cheap card rather than go with the on board graphics

Is the advice then for Internet use, Office type suites, watching the odd AVI movie or DVD that on board graphics are ample and people ought to save the extra £30ish cheap graphic cards cost. Or has having a separtate graphics card got other advantages?

This is just for future reference and to hopefully davise people in a similar sitautrion.

I am Spartacus 21:31 02 Nov 09

I would try updating the drivers from click here if you haven't already done so. I would have expected the 4350 to have better performance than the on board.

joebloggs1 22:47 02 Nov 09

I updated the drivers from the XFX website as it is a XFX card, but the version is the same 9.10. Suppose I could try the driver on the AMD link, just in case there a subtle differences

woodchip 22:47 02 Nov 09

Onboard is adequate for your needs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos