Radeon Graphics Card problem

slowhand_1000 00:28 28 Jan 04

O/S W98se, 512mb RAM, ASUS A7M266 M/B

Having problems upgrading the Graphics card to a ATI Radeon 9200 - 256mb.

Story so far.

Booted up into safe mode. Deleted old Display Adapter as instructed in manual. Replaced old card for the new one. Re-booted and inserted cd with drivers and followed instructions.

Re-booted after installing new drivers and the screen - for want of a better word - was like a kaleidoscope (well almost). It was if there was an image squashed up and repeated many, many times across the screen. Had to do Ctrl/Alt/Delete to re-boot with the same end result.

Had a look in device manager and the card was listed ok.

I have tried taking the card out and re-seating it but with the same end result.

The card is an 8x AGP although the motherboard suports only 4x. I was informed that it would run ok though only at 4x. But seeing as the card was on special offer (only a few pound more than the 128mb) I thought it was worth it.

I don't have another pc to try it on that would accept the card.

Would I be right in assuming that the kaleidoscope effect would point to a suspect card rather than a driver problem.

Oh and one last minor problem - if at all it is. The ATI Control will not uninstall through Add/Remove Programs in Windows Control Panel.

Cheers

hugh-265156 01:00 28 Jan 04

was the old display adapter onboard and did you uninstall or disable via device manager?try this.

restart your computer and enter your bios (will say on screen which key to press at post)

look in advanced chipset or similar bios menu for "shared memory" and disable.also look for "agp boot from" or similar and set to auto or agp.

try booting into safe mode(keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and select it)try lowering your display resolution to 800x600 and then restart and uninstall the ati control panel via add remove(dont restart)then the driver and restart.download the latest cat 4.1 driver click here

try driver cleaner click here

slowhand_1000 15:58 28 Jan 04

Thanks for the links huggyg71.

It found a driver from previous card that had been left behind. I then used the cat 4.1 drivers from ATI and they loaded first time.

Once again many thanks.

Cheers

slowhand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…