Radeon compatability

Muzziad 15:07 03 Feb 03

I'm looking to assemble a system, quite high end with branded components. I have been told, by one of the guys who runs our local network gaming centre, that there are problems with certain games and 9500/9700 cards. I was looking to use one of these cards, has anyone else had problems with games? I mostly play online BF1942, CounterStrike etc.

Your thoughts on the choice of either a 9500/9700 or GF4 would also be appreciated.

duplo 15:27 03 Feb 03

Hmmm... I dont know of any problems, but I have heard that ATI drivers are not as good as nVidia. The Radeon is the fasted card although when the nVidia FX hits the market it should give the Ati a run for the money- but this is partly due to the higher clock speed which would suggest that the Ati is infact a better card.

The gforce 4 is tried a tried and tested card and to my eyes runs the games well (I have a ti4200). If your an avid gamer you may notice the difference, I cant.

click here for reviews.

Muzziad 15:39 03 Feb 03

i enjoy gaming, but not rabidly enough to worry excessively about framerates etc etc. as long as it plays smoothly i'm happy.
i know ATI have had a history of driver problems so am leaning towards a Ti of some variety, i think it seems to have knocked the 9500 off the top as my card of choice.

i'll keep this open for a couple of days incase someone who has had problems wishes to respond.

duplo 16:01 03 Feb 03

A Ti GF4 will play games nicely! I have the 4200 (bottom of the Ti range). Plays everything I throw at it very nicely! the 4600/4800 will play even better aparently!!

The newer cards are DirectX 9 compatible... that is a bonus... but by the time games that use it come out they will have dropped in price!

Falkyrn 17:29 03 Feb 03

There were some minor problems with some games however these were all dealt with by the last update to the drivers for the ati cards.

grumpy 17:50 03 Feb 03

I think you will find the 4800 is just a 4200 with AGP 8X support

NEOSPHEAR 21:27 24 Feb 03

I have recently bought a saphire radeon 9000pro 128ddr and have had nothing but problems when trying to play games (locking up ect) so i'm on the verge of sending the card back and considering a geforce4?
Has any1 else had difficulties with their radeon card and is the geforce card a more reliable one in respect of playing games ect.

NEOSPHEAR 21:28 24 Feb 03

I have recently bought a saphire radeon 9000pro 128ddr and have had nothing but problems when trying to play games (locking up ect) so i'm on the verge of sending the card back and considering a geforce4? Has any1 else had difficulties with their radeon card and is the geforce card a more reliable one in respect of playing games ect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos