Radeon compatability

Muzziad 15:07 03 Feb 03

I'm looking to assemble a system, quite high end with branded components. I have been told, by one of the guys who runs our local network gaming centre, that there are problems with certain games and 9500/9700 cards. I was looking to use one of these cards, has anyone else had problems with games? I mostly play online BF1942, CounterStrike etc.

Your thoughts on the choice of either a 9500/9700 or GF4 would also be appreciated.

duplo 15:27 03 Feb 03

Hmmm... I dont know of any problems, but I have heard that ATI drivers are not as good as nVidia. The Radeon is the fasted card although when the nVidia FX hits the market it should give the Ati a run for the money- but this is partly due to the higher clock speed which would suggest that the Ati is infact a better card.

The gforce 4 is tried a tried and tested card and to my eyes runs the games well (I have a ti4200). If your an avid gamer you may notice the difference, I cant.

click here for reviews.

Muzziad 15:39 03 Feb 03

i enjoy gaming, but not rabidly enough to worry excessively about framerates etc etc. as long as it plays smoothly i'm happy.
i know ATI have had a history of driver problems so am leaning towards a Ti of some variety, i think it seems to have knocked the 9500 off the top as my card of choice.

i'll keep this open for a couple of days incase someone who has had problems wishes to respond.

duplo 16:01 03 Feb 03

A Ti GF4 will play games nicely! I have the 4200 (bottom of the Ti range). Plays everything I throw at it very nicely! the 4600/4800 will play even better aparently!!

The newer cards are DirectX 9 compatible... that is a bonus... but by the time games that use it come out they will have dropped in price!

Falkyrn 17:29 03 Feb 03

There were some minor problems with some games however these were all dealt with by the last update to the drivers for the ati cards.

grumpy 17:50 03 Feb 03

I think you will find the 4800 is just a 4200 with AGP 8X support

NEOSPHEAR 21:27 24 Feb 03

I have recently bought a saphire radeon 9000pro 128ddr and have had nothing but problems when trying to play games (locking up ect) so i'm on the verge of sending the card back and considering a geforce4?
Has any1 else had difficulties with their radeon card and is the geforce card a more reliable one in respect of playing games ect.

NEOSPHEAR 21:28 24 Feb 03

I have recently bought a saphire radeon 9000pro 128ddr and have had nothing but problems when trying to play games (locking up ect) so i'm on the verge of sending the card back and considering a geforce4? Has any1 else had difficulties with their radeon card and is the geforce card a more reliable one in respect of playing games ect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…