Radeon 9800 Pro problem

Brirev 20:26 23 Jun 06

After a few minutes of playing any games, the screen freezes and I get a high-pitched whine. The situation has been steadily getting worse. For about a year we've got by through opening the case whenever games are being played.

I've checked all the fans. Upgraded to the current driver. Might I need to do some change to the BIOS? If so, how do I go about this?

The main PSU seems to get distinctly hot during game-playing.

Thanks.

citadel 20:39 23 Jun 06

I would not touch the bios as this can be dangerous and can make the motherboard useless.
I would try another graphics card to find out if the 9800 is at fault.

Totally-braindead 20:43 23 Jun 06

I would suggest that either the power supply is not providing enough juice, especially since you say its running quite hot or the graphics card may have a problem.
You mention something about opening the case. If this is because of heat then perhaps all you need to do is improve the cooling, perhaps by replacing a case fan or adding another. Worth mentioning here, if you are opening the case because of heat it can actually make things worse. This is because the idea is to have the air flow over the components and then out of the case, removing the sides can disrupt the airflow and make overheating worse.

Brirev 23:00 23 Jun 06

Thanks for your help everyone.

If I ever need to take the PC into a shop, I'll probably get the PSU replaced as I think it is on the "light" side.

I've cleaned all the fans again (last time I did this was a year-or-so ago) and it seems to have solved the problem.

Best wishes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…