Radeon 9800 Pro crashing system

Totally-braindead 22:02 09 Apr 04

I just bought a Radeon 9800 Pro from overclockers, got it on special for about £125. It causes no end of problems, basically its unuseable for any games. If you play a game it causes the Operating System to restart with error messages (of course). Error messages have now been sent both to Ati and Microsoft to no avail. Now the 9800 takes a seperate power supply as well as the power off the AGP slot so my first thought was the power supply might not be sufficient so I upgraded it from a 300w one to 400w, no difference. I have tried 6 different Ati drivers now including the latest ones and the computer still crashes and I've tested it with 6 different games, all crash some quicker than others. I'm at a total loss and have asked to return the card unless anyone out their can give me some advice for something I haven't already tried. This has been a total nightmare for the past 3 days. HELP!!!!

citadel 22:20 09 Apr 04

have you looked with the side off to see if the cards fan is running. Also if you have changed from a nvidia card did you delete all traces of its drivers. The forums at guru3d.com may have an answer.

hugh-265156 22:23 09 Apr 04

i like these drivers

omega drivers click here

also try driver cleaner before installing any new drivers click here

Totally-braindead 22:27 09 Apr 04

Thank for that Citadel I'll have a look at guru and see if I can find anything. I did properly delete the Nvidia drivers before I installed the new card. I even blanked my computer when that didn't work and am running now on a clean install of XP with all Microsoft updates and its made no difference whatsoever. Is their any program I can download which can actually physically test the video card for faults to ensure its working ok. I've tried Aquamark and 3dMark and they seem to run ok, I'm tearing my hair out.

hugh-265156 23:27 09 Apr 04

also what version of direct x are you using?

most new games require direct x9 click here should also be on most game cdroms now i think.

to find out your current version click start/run and type dxdiag and click ok

click the system tab and look at the version info.

Carm0 23:30 09 Apr 04

i had same problem with my rad 9800 pro

i was running dual channel memory and i was getting vpu errors everytime i pld a game and the system would crash

i spent weeks trying to solve this problem

fix = dont run dual channel memory i got 1 stick of 512mb corshair memory and my system runs like a treat

Carm0 23:31 09 Apr 04

also install service pack 1 and dx9b before u install the catalyst drivers

Totally-braindead 00:16 10 Apr 04

Got SP1 and all updates installed, got only 1 stick of memory installed and have Direct X 9 installed. Tried checking the Direct X and there were no problems reported. Last time the computer restarted the message was "VPU has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to commands" . I do not receive this message all the time sometimes it just locks up and restarts the computer itself sometimes I have to switch off and restart.

Totally-braindead 14:01 11 Apr 04

Still struggling with this damn thing, anyone know of a program which can physically check a graphics card, you know something like memtest that you use for memory.
The conclusions I've drawn so far ( and I may be wrong, I often am )
The problem has to be either
1- Overheating, the graphics card may be too hot although the case sides are off at the moment and I would say the card gets warm not hot and the graphics fan is whirling away.
2- Power supply insufficient or just not good enough, I bought a new 400w one to replace my 300w one. The new PSU is not a brand make but I've disconnected everything except my hard drive and it still crashes.
3- There is something physically wrong with the graphics card ( this I consider the least likely but its definately possible.
4- There is a problem with the voltage or an incompatability problem between my Gigabyte GA7VAXP mainboard and the Radeon 9800 Pro.
5- The drivers are still not installed correctly. I've checked and double checked this and they have definately been installed the correct way, I even tried installing them badly, you know leaving the old ones there and installing over the top, its made no difference whatsoever.
And the last
6- God hates me and wants me punished, this is a definate possibility.
Is there any input as to what I can do next, I don't want to buy a new case, more fans another power supply and/or another mainboard only to find its the graphics card all the time?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:14 11 Apr 04

I would return the card sounds like it could be faulty in some way,other than that try running the games on the lowest possible settings and set your desktop to the lowest see if it runs ok then if it does bump things up a notch and try again and see at what point the error occurs.Also have you installed upgraded the VIA drivers for the mobo.

Regards.

Totally-braindead 14:22 11 Apr 04

Running the PC with the latest Via drivers. The computer has never crashed from the desktop it only crashes when I run a 3d game. Tried it with 7 different games now from older ones to the latest ones, they all crash. It seems to only happen with a 3d game that puts some sort of strain on the card, tried running at lowest settings for graphics and it makes no difference it still crashes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017