Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB problem

Brirev 14:03 10 May 05

Whenever I try and play certain games (Sims 2, Stratsky & Hutch) everything goes fine for quite a while, the length of which then the screen freezes and a high-pitched tone is emitted: all I can then do is press the reset button. Only other effect is that the connections option on IE is changed to "never dial"!?

PC is a Multivision model:-
AMD 3200+, 2.21GHz, 512MB, Diamond Pro 930SB

I have installed up-to-date Radeon 9800 driver with Windows license, made sure that the correct monitor driver is in place, changed the accel, resolution, refresh rate, "Enable Write combining". All without fixing the problem.

It has two graphics card drivers when you look in "Hardware" - one for primary screen, one for a secondary screen - I tried disabling the latter but that didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

If you're thinking about mentioning "BIOS settings" please explain in detail 'cos I've never delved into this area before.

Thanks.

Klof Ron 14:19 10 May 05

Maybe the CPU or graphics card is overheating. Have you got the AMD cool 'n' Quite drivers installed and enabled?, could be another case fan is required.

gudgulf 14:23 10 May 05

If it's freezing after a period of game play,which is stressful on the pc then I think that you have an overheating problem.The high pitched whine could be an alarm on the motherboard.

First thing to do is to take the side off the pc case and check if all the fans (cpu/graphics card/any case fans) are spinning ok when the computer is powered up.Then with the pc switched off check for a build up of fluff/dust in the cpu heatsink/fan,graphics card and case ventilation hole.If there is blow it all clear.Whilst inside the pc make sure all the memory sticks and graphics card are firmly seated in their slots and that all cables are likewise fully inserted into there sockets.

Once you've cleaned things up and checked the fans etc replace the case side and try running your games again.If you still get the problem post back.....It may be BIOS checking time ;o)))

By the way...with an ATI card you always get the secondary graphics adapter listed....it's just the way ATI cards work.

Brirev 22:43 13 May 05

When I opened the case up and blasted a fanheater - on cold! - the problem seems to go away. I've removed one of my infrequently used cards and the problem takes ages before it comes back again.

What's "AMD cool 'n' Quite drivers" please?

Can you buy a fan mounted on a card so I could place it next to the graphics card? (which would probably keep it cool enough)

Otherwise, I can't spot anywhere obvious to place a fan.

Thanks for the help so far.

Brirev 22:44 13 May 05

When I opened the case up and blasted a fanheater - on cold! - the problem seems to go away. I've removed one of my infrequently used cards and the problem takes ages before it comes back again.

Can you buy a fan mounted on a card so I could place it next to the graphics card? (which would probably keep it cool enough)

Brirev 22:44 13 May 05

Brirev 17:53 20 May 05

I've bought a Vantec Spectrum Fan Card VT_SP-FC70-BL from iNFO-TECH and now everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW, what makes this irritating is that 15+ yrs ago, when I was working in electronics research, I had to do a similar thing to get a PC working properly - learn from experience - pah!

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…