Radeon 9200 or Nvidia Fx5200?

Blitzer 23:49 12 Nov 03

I'm trying to decide between the following two graphics cards for a new system build...

Sapphire Radeon 9200 128MB DDR TV-Out DVI-Out £49.99+vat
Gainward Fx5200 Powerpack Pro 660 8x 128Mb DDR Video-out DVI £45+vat

I know the Gainward supports DirectX 9 whereas the Sapphire only supports upto DirectX 8, but I have had a bad experience with a system build that went badly wrong that was using a Nvidia based GFX card. This has put me off going for the Gainward, but it does seem to fair better review wise and on paper looks the better option.

Anyone got any opinion? Cheers. :)

Giggle n' Bits 23:55 12 Nov 03

Planning on using.

I have nothing but trouble with the ATI Chip card and find Nvidia Cards excellent and easy to set up.

If going Nvidia I would opt for Creative, PNY, MSI or Gainward.

But it is down to perosnal taste.

Blitzer 00:08 13 Nov 03

Windows XP Home and planning to use an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard.

hugh-265156 00:20 13 Nov 03

some people have problems with certain hardware and some dont.its nothing to do with the manufacturer but more to do with the mixture of hardware/software in your system.everybody is different and you may find the fx card works well.

i would go for the fx as is dx9 and the chip is more up to date if you must to choose between the two.

both cards are going to struggle with new games with all the fancy effects going on though so spending slightly more if you are wanting to play games would be better.both will be fine for everyday things or light gaming.

The Sack 02:54 13 Nov 03

Neither they are both shite, find a Geforce 4 Ti-4200 if you dont want to spend on decent DX9 hardware.

The Sack 03:00 13 Nov 03

Oh and if the FX5200 can do DX9 with anything better than 100% crap i'll bare me arse on here :-)

Blitzer 17:39 13 Nov 03

The Sack,

"but I have had a bad experience with a system build that went badly wrong that was using a Nvidia based GFX card"

Guess what - yes it was a Geforce 4 Ti-4200, no way I would risk touching one again TBH. ;)
I should have pointed out that the machine it's to be used in is not really going to be used for gaming so the performance of DirectX isn't a major issue.

The reason for the possible choice of the Nvidia Fx5200 based GFX card is it's comparable price, that it does support DX9 over the DX8 limitation of the Radeon 9200 and finally that it seems to be more favourable in reviews I have seen.

hugh-265156 17:55 13 Nov 03

your bad experience may have been duff drivers.

this can happen with any piece of hardware.

as its not going to be used for much gaming, either card will do just fine.

im still using a direct x8 card with direct x9 installed and have no problems.

just make sure to get the latest direct x9 compliant drivers for whatever card you choose even if its the direct x8 radeon card,some new games wont run unless dx9 is installed.

if either dont work on your system you are intitled to return it within a resonable time for an exchange.hold on to your reciepts and keep the packageing.

Blitzer 18:17 13 Nov 03

Believe me I tried everything to get the machien in question working... drivers for this that an other... new even higher wattage PSU etc. I'm pretty convinced the problems I was experiencing were due to a known issue with the motherboard I had purchased and the Geforce 4 Ti4200 based GFX card I'd also bought.

Unfortunately, all the stuff I purchased was from Dabs who had got their money and were not interested in providing any kind of aftersales service after several weeks e-mails etc. In the end the whole lot ended up in the bin in very small bits such was my stress level from the situation at the time.

More recently I purchased a load of new parts to upgrade the same machine again. This time I naturally used a different vendor and I'm very happy to report the machine worked first time and has been fantastic ever since.

I can't help but feel a little wary of Geforce based cards though following my previous experience - especially as I'm planning to buy these parts for a new system as a xmas pressie for my brother.

hugh-265156 18:43 13 Nov 03

well untill you try either of the cards you wont know.

unfortunatly there are no guarantees that any of the cards you choose will work with your current hardware/software.

before installing though, to reduce the chances of problems/conflicts etc,get rid of any windows junk and programs you dont need or use.

update windows and all your current mobo/hardware drivers and run defrag.dont have anything else running,AV etc when installing the drivers.

you will be fine.

Blitzer 18:48 13 Nov 03

It will be a new build so it'll all be fresh and clean. Don't think there will be any internet access so not sure on how to do the Windows updates yet.. hmmm. :-s

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…