Racing computer,freezing graphics

chriscross72 10:51 10 Apr 09

E machines 4020
1gb ram
250gb hdd
nvidia geforce 6200 graphics card
windows xp home sp3

My computer has recently started to continually run at 100% cpu useage even when I'm just browsing the internet and not pushing it hard with other tasks.
Also, whenever I try to run Google earth the screen freezes totally with no response from keyboard or mouse.It also did this whilst trying to play music video through WMP11.
I've run an AVG antivirus scan and spybot and Adaware scans, none of which reported anything major.
Everything seems to take an age to react to a mouse click etc.
Any ideas on why this thing races like a mad Ferrari please.
Thank you : ))

Pineman100 11:04 10 Apr 09

Have you tried using System Restore to roll the computer back to a date/time before the problem started?

chriscross72 11:09 10 Apr 09

just tried to open system restore, clicking on it had no response, the programme would not appear on screen

chriscross72 11:29 10 Apr 09

I've just removed graphics card and gone back to onboard graphics and computer fan has slowed right down, cpu useage has gone down to between 3 and 18%
Looks like a faulty graphics card was the reason for the racing system
I'll try using it as normal and see what happens.
Would a faulty graphics card cause the system to run at 100% ??

chriscross72 22:24 14 Apr 09

PC is still having same problem, runs for a while ok then fans get noisier and cpu sticks at 100%
I've checked for dust etc. inside, there appears to be nothing untoward inside pc casing
Anyone any ideas please ?

Pineman100 17:52 16 Apr 09

Try using System Restore in Safe Mode.

I can never get it to work in normal mode, but it's fine in Safe Mode.

birdface 17:58 16 Apr 09

In task manager system idle process should be showing about 97% if nothing running.If anything else using up a lot of the CPU let us know what.Maybe short of memory.

woodchip 18:04 16 Apr 09

are you using norton?

birdface 18:16 16 Apr 09

Like woodchip says have you used Norton and not used the removal tool to get rid of it completely.

[spybot and Adaware ]Not great.You need something like Malwarebytes or superantispyware.

Maybe run Driver Max[free] to see if there are any drivers needing updated.

Maybe try Firefox to see if it makes any difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…