+R or -R

Rowey 16:00 10 Jun 03

What's the main differences between the two formats?

I know the +R's cost slightly more, but are they a better quality?

Lozzy 16:11 10 Jun 03

There about the same. If your buying a new DVD have a think about the sony as it writes all three formats +/- and Ram. Then your safe which ever way the DVD format war goes..

Rowey 16:15 10 Jun 03

I've checked the compatability of my DVD player.....it supports both. Just wondering if one was better than the other.

I've been looking at the plextor +rw drive. Have had a plextor cd-rw for years and can't fault it.

Rowey 16:15 10 Jun 03

I've checked the compatability of my DVD player.....it supports both. Just wondering if one was better than the other.

I've been looking at the plextor +rw drive. Have had a plextor cd-rw for years and can't fault it.

Rowey 16:16 10 Jun 03

-pops- 16:19 10 Jun 03

There are, apparently a lot of technical differences but for all practical purposes, having done tests on my new NEC 1300A multiformat DVD writer, I've not found any discernable difference.

I will be buying DVD-R purely because of the lower cost unless someone can tell me a good reason not to. Mr Gates has apparently given his blessing to the DVD+ format so there may be some new Windows innovation that either relies on, or exclusively utilises, that format at the expense of the others.

Brian

crx1600 16:24 10 Jun 03

+R/RW discs have a minimal write speed of 2.4x, meaning you wont find discs that record any slower.

the price comparison is usually made against 1x -R/RW which are obviously cheaper.

1x takes an hour to record a DVD. 2.4x takes about 20mins.

-pops- 16:27 10 Jun 03

My machine will record -R @ 4x, -RW @ 2x, +R @ 4x, +RW @2.4x, CD-R @16x and CD-RW @10x

crx1600 16:42 10 Jun 03

my point was the slowest/cheapest discs aren't comparable between the 2, because 2.4x is the slowest speed available with the +R format, where as 1x -R are available.

i wasnt refering to maximum speeds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…