Poloman69 17:36 16 Jan 04

Is it just me, or has anyone checked out QXL's new auction site click here and found it to be nothing more than a money making scheme for QXL.

Currently there is one particular auction going on for a brand new Renault Megane Coupe-Cabriolet which retails for around £17,000.

The auction has a minimum bid requirement of 3000 bids at £500 a bid (which is not refundable), which means they will make almost £1.5 millon (minus the cost of the car of course) in profit from this one auction alone.

Is this correct - and can they actually do this?

After all - what would stop other auctioneers say buying a £100,000 house and putting it on an auction site say at £500 a bid with a minimum requirement of 5000 bids to make themselves a hefty profit of over £2 million.

Yes i agree, one lucky winner will get the car for £500, but how can they justify a million pound profit margin?

Any responses to this would be great as it seems to 'bad' to be true.

Chegs ® 18:26 16 Jan 04

Its run in a similar way to a raffle,except it has much greater cash sums involved.If the "raffle ticket" is £500 a go,and the minimum quantity of tickets required to be sold is 3000,if the auction isn't entered by enough folk then they lose their £500.As it states on the QXL pages what will happen,its probably legal.If the car was auctioned at £1 a go,and the minimum entrants was 17,000 those that lost their £1 wouldn't complain.Having said that,I wouldn't enter a QXL auction of this type,as I can see the vast profits available(and I haven't got £500 to spare),but I'm sure some folk would.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:47 16 Jan 04

Call me cynical but surely this is betting?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…