"Windows Live Messenger has stopped working

hastelloy 29 Jun 11
Answered

close the program and Windows will notify you if a solution is available". This happens about 20 seconds after opening but there never appears to be a solution. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and tried system restore. This is only happening on my W7 PC - XP is fine.

buteman 30 Jun 11

I think you have to go to add remove click on Windows live Essentials and at the top it should give you the options of a repair.

Now this is where I am not sure ,You can either choose Windows Live messenger out of a list or you have to repair all of Windows Live essentials.

Yes just tried it it gives you the option of just repairing the one program and not all of them.

So obviously you pick Windows Live messenger.

Worth a try if nothing else works.

hastelloy 30 Jun 11

Hi buteman. On first try I only got the option to uninstall so I took it and reinstalled - same problem. Second try gave me the choice so I chose repair which failed. Third try repair successful - seems to be OK now. Many thanks.

hastelloy 30 Jun 11

I spoke too soon - it's back to it's old tricks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buteman 30 Jun 11

Maybe try it with your Firewall turned off and see if it works ok or maybe your Anti-malware program is stopping it for some reason.

Maybe give MalwareBytes just in case you have picked up a nastie.

hastelloy 01 Jul 11
Answer

Thanks buteman. I'm using Windows Firewall and Messenger is in the list of allowed programs - I've been using the same set-up for some time and only just had this problem. Malwarebytes found nothing at all. I have uninstalled all Windows Live programs and installed Windows messenger 2009. This seems to have worked (so far) - fingers crossed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message