Quiet Socket A fan for Socket 7

Gaz W 20:07 03 May 04

I need to replace the fan on an old socket 7 CPU (Pentium 233 MMX). I realise that Socket 370 is exactly the same size as Socket 7, minus one pin, and so is Socket A (all completely electronically incompatible of course) but since I can't find a socket 7 fan any more, or even a socket 370 one come to that, my bet bet might be to use one designed for a socket A processor. The trouble is the fans on AMD Athlon XP processors are extremely loud and I don't need an extremely powerful one.

Rather than mess about with resistor cables and slowing the fan down, is there a very quiet AMD fan available? Maybe even just a very large heatsink?

Bearing in mind that this computer is a server (yes, it's a P233 and a server) - so it's got to be something that will keep it cool all the time because even P233s get hot!

Any suggestions?

VoG II 20:14 03 May 04

Have a look click here

Gaz W 21:08 03 May 04

Thanks for that link. I have looked at QuietPC.com before but never really thought of them! Anyway I clicked on Pentium 3 fans and found that there are two that are an "ideal solution" for "Pentium Classic / MMX" - one is called the Nexus AXP-3200 Copper Plated Cooler and the other is the Kamakaze, so I'll choose between those two based on the noise levels.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…