Quiet SATA DVD-RW needed

Maiden. 15:14 09 Jun 08

Hi all

Looking for a new SATA DVD-RW (internal) - my existing Samsung unit is quite noisy when spinning at full tilt with games DVD's.

Looked at various 'speed control' programs, but they all cater for CD's only, I have found no way of slowing down the drive when it is spinning a DVD. So, decided to get one that is quiet.

Anyone using a Sata unit that they consider to be quiet? Not at all bothered by speed / transfer rates etc, just need a bit of peace and quiet when I put in DVD!

Many thanks in advance

Maiden

Technotiger 15:36 09 Jun 08

I have, and can recommend the Samsung SH-S203 Super-Writemaster DVD drive. It also has the added advantage of being Lightscribe compatible, and is XP and Vista compatible.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 09 Jun 08

Looked at various 'speed control' programs, but they all cater for CD's only, I have found no way of slowing down the drive when it is spinning a DVD.

Nero drivespeed alters the speed of the drive regardless of whether reading a CD or DVD, may look confusing as it only mentions CD read speed but does also slow DVDs.

grey george 19:37 09 Jun 08

I recently upgraded to one of these Pioneer DVD±RW-burner, BDC-S02BK, 12x, Blu-Ray Reader, SATA from Komplett.co.uk It is quiter than my old drive and much quicker. The quality of the mounting case will also effect the noise. If you have an external SATA socket you could use an external drive and damp the sound with some foam rubber

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…