Quiet replacement for AMD 64 stock fan

fyak1 19:58 21 Feb 06

I have recently bought an AMD 64 4000+ to put into what I was hoping to be a very quiet set up.

I'm almost there but the one component still making noticeable noise is the stock fan on the heatsink. I have ordered a Scythe Ninja and a Nexus Real Silent fan which I will be installing and using on the CPU when I get my new mobo in a few weeks time.

In the meantime I was wondering if it was possible to replace just the fan on the stock AMD heatsink rather than the whole thing? I have noticed that the the stock fan only measures about 75 mm across whereas possible replacement fans that i've been looking at are no smaller than 80mm so compatability would seem a problem.

I know I could and should just put up with the whine for a few more weeks but it's bugging the balls off me!

Any solutions out there?

citadel 22:41 21 Feb 06

arctic cooling freezer 64 pro only £18, near silent and keeps cpu very cool. recommended by custom pc mag.

User-312386 22:45 21 Feb 06
  SchindlersPissed 20:02 22 Feb 06

Thanks for the response guys but that doen't answer my question -

I want to replace the fan only, not the heatsink as well. I want to attach a new fan to the supplied AMD heatsink.

Possible?

SchindlersPissed 20:03 22 Feb 06

Should have mentioned i've changed my Username from fayk1 to SchindlersPissed.

malgall 20:10 22 Feb 06

yes you can replace just the fan
if you get one with differant speeds
it may be quieter but keep an eye on cpu temp
i replaced my heatsink and fan with a better
heatsink the fan runs a lot slower so much better

ade.h 22:24 22 Feb 06

The best fan available anywhere, which beats all the previous fans that I have ever tried click here

Worth every penny.

ade.h 22:26 22 Feb 06

The heatsink is far too important to neglect, hence my suggestion.

keef66 10:04 23 Feb 06

I wouldn't take the risk. Quiet (bigger, slower)fans are generally designed to work on bigger, more efficient heatsinks. Putting a quiet fan on a stock heatsink, while it may fit physically, could result in a hotter cpu.

Put up with the racket until you get your new mobo / ninja jobbie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now