QuickTime problem when downloading

Sirpad 16:16 24 Sep 05

I have Windows '95 and am using QuickTime 5.0.2
When I try to download anything QT goes thru it's motions and MANY minutes later(no broadband) I get a box with the following message.....

'QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation.
Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server'

That's it......nothing else, nada, and no clue as to WHAT software I'm missing...is there any simpler software I can use for downloading perhaps? I don't use QT for anything else.

timeteam2004 18:27 24 Sep 05
  MAJ 18:37 24 Sep 05

Are you saying that **ANYTHING** you try to download, even if it's an exe, doc, etc. file, QT tries to open?

Sirpad 19:46 24 Sep 05

No Maj, if I am downloading a .doc or .ppt or jpeg file it doesn't intervene....it's when I go into any site and try to download software or upgrades(which would normally be an .exe file or a zip file) . I'm not sure when QT decides it is needed.

De Marcus™ 19:49 24 Sep 05
  octal 19:52 24 Sep 05

I personally think ditch Quick Time, I've never like it, its too invasive, there are better programs that do the same job.

octal 19:53 24 Sep 05

Don't forget Sirpad is running Windows 95 so the registry might be different.

De Marcus™ 19:55 24 Sep 05

key should hopefully be the same, at least it might be a pointer in the right direction.

Can't disagree with you regarding quicktime, ditch it and use ccleaner to clear up the mess.

VoG II 20:04 24 Sep 05

Duplicate click here

Sirpad 08:52 25 Sep 05

Thanks guys.....should I just get rid of QuickTime using add/remove programs?
Not sure what ccleaner is DeMarcus?
Also, if I ditch it what will happen when I try to download software now?
Sorry, sort of new to this....have been a mainframe programmer for 20 yrs (stop laughing)...

De Marcus™ 10:58 25 Sep 05

Uninstall quicktime via add/remove programmes, download ccleaner from click here which is in their own words "CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)"

Basically it should clean out any files left over from the quicktime installation, including registry entries.

Your downloads should begin to start normally.

If you have any problems downloading ccleaner, try right clicking and on the download and 'save target as'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…