Quickest way to help SLOW laptop?

buel 06:38 22 Aug 14
Answered

Hi all. I am going to a friend's house later today as apparently his laptop is extraordinarily slow. I only have about an hour to an hour and a half there so, just for today, I don't have time to run all the relevant scans, etc. All my friend wants for now is to just speed it up even slightly (They need the laptop every day to update their tax records for their business so I can't take it home with me all weekend) until I can have a more lengthy session to help.

Please can I ask what would be one of the first things I should do? Im thinking msconfig to stop all the (probable) pointless programs starting?

I believe it is running W7.

Thank you in advance for this....

BillSers 08:16 22 Aug 14

You can run MBAM and Superantispyware in that timescale and maybe CCleaner too, plus defrag.

Secret-Squirrel 08:52 22 Aug 14

"......Quickest way...."

Providing that the laptop's running slow when you get there then the quickest (and most professional) way is to use Task Manager (and perhaps the Disk section in Resource Monitor) to identify the cause. The culprit could be an over-active or memory-hungry process or a general lack of RAM. When you identify the problem then you can do something about fixing it.

Forum Editor 08:57 22 Aug 14

I would tend to agree with Secret-Squirrel. Check the RAM - it may be involved.

buel 09:54 22 Aug 14

Will do. Thank you. However, apparently it is so slow you can barely log on to Yahoo email.....

Secret-Squirrel 10:04 22 Aug 14

".........can barely log on to Yahoo email."

Is it just the Internet that's slow or everything that he does on the laptop?

buel 11:13 22 Aug 14

Apparently everything on the laptop. Also, strangely, pop ups saying that the Microsoft Office that came with the laptop (years ago) has not been verified (for want of a better phrase) but he can still use Word, etc...

buel 07:52 23 Aug 14
Answer

OK, everything went well. I was able to install Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Ccleaner and run quick scans. Malwarebytes found 246 'results'? I uninstalled some odd-looking programs and ran the scans and it was 100% better.....and no Microsoft Word pop ups either.

Thank you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac