Quickest was to get a .png file to be an XP icon?

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 18:33 20 Oct 05

Any ideas? Perhaps some freeware that does this?
I've tried a couple of programs (forgot their names), but when I saved as .ico, they were always invisible! :(

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable that me an help (basically, the rest of the world).

Thanks

Chegs ® 18:50 20 Oct 05

click here

Couple of freeware tools in this list.I'm gonna give a few a go,see what gives with them on my PC.

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 19:04 20 Oct 05

Thanks for those...I downloaded a few of them, but not seem to be able to take a .png file and make it an icon.

Eric10 19:13 20 Oct 05

Irfanview click here can open a .png as save it as a .ico. To use it though you need to go to the properties of the shortcut where you wish to display it and change the icon to your saved file.

Chegs ® 19:46 20 Oct 05

The freeware versions are restricted in icon sizes(32x32)but I have successfully changed my comp/my docs,etc to a different icon(dunno yet how I'm going to get them back to default,will cross that one when I need to)Looking at IrfanView,I'm going to have a go at setting a few of my presently changed icons to something else with it,if I succeed,I'll report back the if's/buts,etc.

Chegs ® 21:09 20 Oct 05

IrfanView does allow creation of an .ico file,I now have My Computer icon as a pic of my cat. :-)

Its really easy,select the file you want as an icon,resize it with IrfanFan,save as...icon,then right-click the shortcut,properties,change icon,browse to the file you created and bingo.One cat.ico file.

This doesn't explain why your ico files vanished,but does allow you to create a new set without any difficulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…