Quicken 98 password lost

TopCat® 19:46 28 Jan 10

A recent power cut zapped my daughter's motherboard and she now has a new pc. All her accounts were, however, on Quicken 98 but she cannot remember her password, which she entered in 2006. Can anyone help with instructions on how to find it again?

Many thanks for your help. TC.

VoG II 19:51 28 Jan 10

Hi TC

SIW may find it under Software > Secrets.

click here

TopCat® 20:09 28 Jan 10

Thanks a million, VoG™ I've passed your link on to her and she'll take it from there, with her thanks.

Hope you are keeping well, my friend? TC.

northumbria61 22:59 28 Jan 10

click here

Free download for Quicken Password Recovery

northumbria61 23:04 28 Jan 10

click here

This is a LIST of others to try - you MAY have to pay to recover FULL password.

Good luck !

TopCat® 12:43 29 Jan 10

Thank you for that - I've passed it all on to my daughter. Hopefully I can get back here soon to announce a positive result. TC.

TopCat® 16:19 30 Jan 10

roundabout way.

My daughter resorted to purchasing Passware Password Enterprise 9.5 (£30) and ran the software. It failed to pick up anything resembling a password so she has sent them an email pointing out her difficulties with PPE 9.5.

In the meantime, she was browsing her daughter's computer which happened to have Microsoft Money 2003 on it. Clicking on File in MM she saw an option there to convert Quicken files. She then fired up her backup external hard drive and her Quicken files were transferred into MM without any request for a password! She is now 'over the moon' and busy bringing her accounts up-to-date.

She and I thank all of you for the kind help you've provided and we hope her happy result may be useful to others in a similar situation. TC.

TonyV 16:29 30 Jan 10

Just as a matter of interest, did your daughter leave Quicken altogether and use MM or did she, once having opened the file and updated it, export it back to Quicken and start again from there?

Cheers

TonyV

TopCat® 17:03 30 Jan 10

No, she can't export anything into Quicken98 because of the lost password problem and she is quite happy to keep her accounts in MM from now on. She also tells me that Quicken98 is an old package which the company no longer supports in the UK. TC.

TonyV 23:58 30 Jan 10

I use Quicken 2004 but do not keep my files password protected. Therefore I wondered if once she had managed to liven up the file, albeit in MM, she could perhaps rename it and then import it without the need for a password. Or it sounds as though she has to use her password to open up Quicken in the first place.

However, it is all academic now since she will be using MM anyway!

If it is of any use, I have a disc of Quicken, and if she really wanted to go back to it, I would be more than happy to send it to you so that she could do a complete install with out any password problems. There was someone else on here who had a problem with restoring backup files and I sent it to him and he was more than happy with the installation and it didn't need any licence numbers etc. click here

TopCat® 13:42 31 Jan 10

That's a very kind offer from you, TonyV, and much appreciated. However, she says she is going to continue using MM as it will, I think, be compatible with her new Windows7 computer. I understand everything will shortly be transferred on to this machine once her local supplier visits to sort out a small problem with it. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5