QuickBooks accounts system : know a alternative ?

Tenner 18:51 09 Jun 03

Can anybody advise me please ? I have been asked by a friend if I know of Quickbooks or can find a recommendation for a cheaper alternative system which will perform similar tasks. His is a one-man start-up company, needing to watch all costs at this stage.

If anybody can recommend a suitable alternative, I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Regards

wee eddie 19:47 09 Jun 03

This is almost important as the idea he has.

The Accountant will suggest a suitable program that it's house Staff are familiar with.

And the Important Bit - Will help him set it up so he is recording the right stuff.

Accountants usually charge nothing until the end of the first year of trading. They want your business, the more you make the more they make. If the business flies he will need an accountant to sort all that tax he will be paying, and if it bombs, to claim back whatever he can.

Otherwise a Cash Book can be purchased from John Menzies for 40p. The small trader round the corner may have it cheaper

powertool 20:42 09 Jun 03

You have to understand a bit of book-keeping to really use it - there is no point in entering all the information unless you have an understanding of what it does with it and how to use and get the reports.

Wee Eddie is right about an accountant. You may well need an accountant to set up the initial trading situation - and [i]you have to get that bit right[/i]!

Last time I looked Quickbooks [not to be confused with Quicken] was pretty cheap - the other popular system is Sage - this comes in different levels according to the side of the outfit. Sage is well known, but more expensive I believe.

If you have some accounting knowledge, sage instant accounts can be used. Available for about £90 the accountants will be able to work on the data.

Tenner 11:14 10 Jun 03

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.
He has the knowledge and ability to use accounts packages, just didn't have the time yesterday to research, whereas I did.

As with M$ Office and its competitors, I had anticipated finding an alternative to an industry 'standard' which appears to be £359.

Thanks again

Regards

Sir Radfordin™ 11:17 10 Jun 03

There is a reason sometimes why something is the Industry standard. Sage is a very good product and most people who deal with accounts know how to use it. You also have support (paid, I know) given by people who not only understand the product but understand accounts and can give contextual advice. Something to bear in mind.

Mr Anderson 11:33 10 Jun 03

As an Accountant and Sage Reseller I would recommend Sage without a doubt it is a very good system.

I install and teach clients how to use Sage software whilst preparing coding plans and systems for them to get the most out of their book keeping.
I have also used other software such as Quickbooks and whilst there are a few features in Quickbooks that Sage does not have (and vice versa) I believe that Sage is the best around.

From my point of view it is very simple to teach.

Tenner 21:01 10 Jun 03

Many thanks for your input.

Regards

wee eddie 21:27 10 Jun 03
  Tenner 00:23 11 Jun 03

Originally, I had wondered whether , like Biro, Hoover, M$ etc., there were alternatives by now. Well at least there seems to be MYOB and Sage.

Again, thanks to each of you.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…