Quick USB Question

thegripper 10:00 10 Jan 04

Excuse my ignorance, but are there different USB cables for USB 1 and USB 2 or can I use all my existing USB 1 cables with my new USB 2 sockets and still get the faster speed ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dave

Jester2K 10:03 10 Jan 04

As far as i've ever seen theres no USB 1.1 and USB 2 cables. Just USB Cables. If you are plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 2 port with an old cable then it'll work. However you can' plug a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2 port and get USB 2 speeds. It'll run at USB 1.1.

AubreyS 10:03 10 Jan 04

I think that you need the USB 2 cables for the higher speed.

Jester2K 10:04 10 Jan 04

However you CAN'T plug a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2 port and get USB 2 speeds. It'll run at USB 1.1.

Simsy 10:26 10 Jan 04

The gist of a reply, (I think it was from DieSse), was that there is, strictly speaking, a difference in the specification of the cable, with regard to what they are made of, intereference sheilding etc...

However if the cables you have are good quality and recent they are likely to meet the USB spec anyway.

PLEASE NOTE I haven't searched for the thread concerned, but that is how I remember what I understood it to say! I apologise if I have "misquoted"!

A further search is probably in order.

Regards,

Simsy

Big Elf 10:40 10 Jan 04

I've just done a test using an external USB 2.0 hard drive. I benchmarked it with a cable that was a couple of years old and was supplied with a USB 1.0 device and the one that was supplied with the drive. I ran 5 passes with each cable and the results were identical.

thegripper 16:15 10 Jan 04

Thanks for taking the time to do that, and resolving the issue.

Regards,

Dave

Alf58 22:11 10 Jan 04

Thought I saw "USB 2" cable on sale in PC World for more money than USB 1. I didnt take much notice so I cant remember the exact price. Did I dream this, or is it a case of PC World cashing in and charging more for the same kit in different packaging?

christmascracker 22:23 10 Jan 04

It's not just PCW it's the same in most shops that I've been in. You can buy either USB 1 or USB 2 cables

Big Elf 12:26 11 Jan 04

It has belatedly occurred to me that the cable supplied with the drive might be a 'USB1' version. I'll get a cable sold as USB 2 and run the tests again.

I use BMX from click here to run the benchmarks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009