Quick question - Mozilla et al vs IE

jjf72 18:45 28 Mar 04

I'm thinking of moving to Mozilla mainly cos of popups and ads but also to avoid the MS targetted viruses.

Question is - do I have to actually remove IE/Outlook and all the associated files/locations or is it enough to just stop using them. I know it depends on the exact workings of each virus/worm/trojan whatever, but if I contracted say Netsky, would it still be able to 'use' Outlook to send infected emails even though it wasn't the default email client. Similarly for Blaster worm which attacked IE hole - is simply having IE installed enough to be vulnerable. And if simply having IE present makes my system vulnerable, then I don't suppose removing it would be straightforward.
Sorry - lot of questions, but hopefully someone can shed some light. Cheers

GaT7 19:06 28 Mar 04

Don't remove IE/Outlook, etc. Use Avant Browser instead & configure it to be your default browser - click here. It's freeware, no ad/spyware & has a lot of great features. IMHO a must try, & check out all it's features closely. I've tried a few other browsers, incl. Mozilla but Avant remains the best (for me, anyway).

Sorry, don't know enough to comment about the security holes in IE, etc.

VoG II 19:08 28 Mar 04

You can install Mozilla (I would recommend Firefox) and leave IE in place.

Most modern viruses have their own SMPT engines to send e-mail.

My understanding is that the DCOM vulnerability exploited by Blaster et al. is a vulnerability in Windows, not IE.

Djohn 19:11 28 Mar 04

Agree with Crossbow7. Leave IE6 on your system and download a couple of other browsers to try. They will all work independently and you can have several versions of browser open at the same time if you wish. j.

Djohn 19:12 28 Mar 04

And with VoG! Sorry VoG posted without a refresh and missed your post. :o(

VoG II 19:13 28 Mar 04

I'm operating "stealthed" ;o)

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 19:18 28 Mar 04

I have just installed Avant,Firebird and Opera and there are big differences between them all some good some not it can get confusing or it did for me as my keyboard is set to use IE and i cant find away to change it and i forget and push a button and up pops IE when i already have one running lol.

Regards.

Dave Bowman 19:21 28 Mar 04

Have to agree with Vog, give 'Firefox' a go. I've been using it since its release without any problems. Its mail client buddy 'Thunderbird' is nice and simple, an interesting alternative to Outlook Express.

leo49 20:24 28 Mar 04

Another vote for Firefox - suits me far better than the other alternatives I've tried and much speedier and convenient than IE.

romanab 21:29 28 Mar 04

Agree with above,since installing firefox 2/3 weeks ago I haven't even looked at I.E.

Alebe 22:35 28 Mar 04

I didn't like Mozilla, so tried uninstalling it. It didn't come with the uninstall option. I found it hijacked everything, my JPEG's all came up with the Mozilla icon. Had a problem removing it. I don't know if the newer version has an easy uninstall option with it. I have the free versions of AVG, Zone-alarm and a Popup-stopper and so far have had no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…