Quick Question - Can NTL Coaxal be Extend?

Hi everyone. I need to extend the black Coaxal cable for NTL Broadband. The cable comes in throught the wall from outside and is about a meter in length. I am moving my computer into another room and need to extend this about another 7m so I can have the modem in the other room.

Can I just use standard Coaxal extension cable (Like for a VCR or TV) or does it need to be a special type? If so, could you reccommend any to me?

Thanks in advance. Chris.

pj123 14:44 27 Feb 03

It looks like ordinary coax to me. I have extended the TV cable cos we moved our TV to another room and that worked. If you can get the correct fittings and a straight through joiner give it a try.

Andÿ 14:48 27 Feb 03

Yes it can, speak to NTL (use the local rate 0845 number on the BB instalation CD box).

Could you not tell me anywhere where they sell the "correct fittings and a straight through joiner" rather than me having to ring NTL up, coz I really don't fancy doing that.

Thanks!

Elrond 15:09 27 Feb 03

I'd avoid ringing them, they'll probably tell you, you cant do it and suggest you pay them to sort you out

3tg 15:10 27 Feb 03

are very helpfull !

graham 15:11 27 Feb 03

As Andy says, contact NTL as the cable and terminal equipment is theirs. I'm pretty sure the cable is coaxial, and copper pairs for telephones. You should, however, be able to extend the cable from the modem to your computer.

Yeah. I've had a look and found that what I need is an F plug to F plug extension. Maplins only do 1.5m and I've had a look around and I can only find the F plug connectors.

Any Suggestions?

Andÿ 15:16 27 Feb 03

The modem is set up to a specific impeadance if you add coax you will change the impeadance and the levels.

I would call ntl then you can call if you have problems. If you do a DIY job, ntl wont touch it, must be worth a couple of quid for piece of mind?

Terms & conditions click here " 9.1 If any further internal cable or Equipment is required it must be provided by us and you may have to pay our reasonable additional Charges. "

Give them a call :o)

F Plug to F Plug RG59U Cable is what I need.

Can find any UK dealers at the moment.

Andÿ 15:18 27 Feb 03

"I'd avoid ringing them".

And who does he ring if it goes wrong :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…