quick question about ftp upload/download speed

©®@$? 22:16 23 Feb 04

i have bulletproof ftp server, and the other person has cuteftp pro, he can only download from my ftp at 30kb maximum..

is this because i have a download speed of 512 and an upload of 256

as my upload speed has a part in what his download speed, i.e i can download at 60kb so my upload is 30kb..

or is there something i can change to increase his download speed..

as it would be good if he could download at 60kb instead of 30kb,it seems as if i am uploading instead of him downloading..

just need some clarification

thanks

©®@$? 22:33 23 Feb 04

solved

it is the upload factor as i thought

short-circuit 22:40 23 Feb 04

Are you doing a direct file transfer from your computer to his or is there an intermediary server? My understanding is that those speeds are for upload and download to and from the server. I wouldn't have thought that your upload and download speeds affect his transition times at all. His download speeds are for material coming from your ftp server site, not directly from your computer and therefore have nothing to do with your upload and download speeds.

In any case this reply will put your question temporarily back at the top of the list, where someone with more experience than I have might give you a better reply.

Scott.

short-circuit 22:44 23 Feb 04

Does that mean that the files are now moving to his machine faster previously? Is this a direct transfer of files or is there an intermediary server? Is it as if you are pushing the files to his computer, rather than him pulling them down?

Scott.

Chegs ® 22:45 23 Feb 04

Hi mate,I used my website to store a few files(which wasn't a bad idea as my pc crashed taking these files with it)I then went to d/l from my site and got (strangely) 30Kbs d/l speed.In your case,as your system is actually the server,the chap d/l off you will only get the files at your max upload speed.

©®@$? 23:01 23 Feb 04

hi peeps, it is a trnasaction from my pc to his, and he is downloading at my upload speed..

short-circuit 23:36 23 Feb 04

Thanks for that. That makes sense to me now that I know there is no intermediary server.

Scott.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…