quick question 2 everyone and also to forum editor

hinchie Y2K III 13:50 20 Oct 03

Hi,

i was wondering if you could create a profile on the website so that you can search on people and then have information about them?
For example
Screen name:
Areas of interest in computers:

etc. etc. etc.

Or would this create to much hassle to create?
Just a thought

Mark

Djohn 13:55 20 Oct 03

Not sure but, I think that would be contravening the Data protection act. j.

MidgetMan 13:56 20 Oct 03

no way!!!. privacy etc comes into play. I know for one that I would not give this info on a open forum that everyone can see/use. There was a thread a while back that asked members this sort of info and if memory serves right it was pulled for good reasons. Why would you like to see this anyway?.

Taran 14:05 20 Oct 03

Many of us prefer the fact that people cannot see whether or not we are currently online and it makes no difference who is trained in what or which subjects they prefer to deal with, as long as questions are answered in good faith.

I almost never answer certain kinds of questions (I get enough of some topics all day during work) and others are the same.

One thing you can be sure of is that few questions sneak by without some kind of solution, so I think it's best to leave well alone since the forums are so successful as they currently stand and the extra work involved in setting up a profile is hardly a cost effective investment for PCA.

Regards

Taran

Bagsey 14:14 20 Oct 03

This, in my opinion is one of the better forums and to use the old adage "If it aint broke dont fix it"

pj123 15:02 20 Oct 03

Why would you want that sort of information, unless you were looking to spam them in the future?

plankton 15:33 20 Oct 03

You're not a double glazing salesman are you?

hinchie Y2K III 15:36 20 Oct 03

Apologies all,

I just thought it would be useful i 4got about the data protection act

I was thinking along the lines of:
screename: albert123
interests: network systems, hardware

but obvioulsy not possible

recap 15:40 20 Oct 03

There are sites that do give the option to create a profile MSM messenger for example allows you to do this. There are dozens of others, but all are optional.

That is if that is the type of profile you were thinking of?

hinchie Y2K III 15:44 20 Oct 03

yes something similiar to that

Nothing confidential
nothing stupid
Just screen name and hobbies of interest in computers and that sort of thing

Try the LockerGnome forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…