Quick partition change?

Ben Avery (Work) 09:06 12 Feb 03

Gday
I've run into a wee problem here at the office today, I've just had the boss come through saying his PC is dead and he can't open any attachments. On inspection, I've discovered that the muppet who set up his PC only gave him 2GB for his C: Drive leaving the rest as a D: and F: drive (with E: being the CD-ROM).

With only about 100MB free (I fear that some of his programs and other items were stored on C: also) I'm guessing the errors generatoed refer to the insufficient space held on this drive.

Thing is, is their a quick was to steal 1GB or so from drive F:, I have access to PM8 if this is the quickest way???

BA

Elrond 09:16 12 Feb 03

If you can use PM8 that wud be the best option. Just resize the C: partition taking space from a partition with plenty of space.

"I'm guessing the errors generatoed refer to the insufficient space held on this drive." I think ur guess is right on this one

Ben Avery (Work) 09:29 12 Feb 03

<The instruction at "0x77805cab" referenced memory at "0x013fe000". The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.>

Pressing Cancel tries to run what looks like some kind of Lotus Notes DOS wotsit then these errors:

<winword.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.>

<The instruction at "0x3000d88e" referenced memory at "0x0f74f8ba". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.>

Does this shed any extra light or just confirm my suspicions??

BA

Elrond 09:43 12 Feb 03

For now i'd put some extra space on that main partition. Then if the error's are still occuring, there is clearly another problem.

MartinT-B 10:25 12 Feb 03

I agree with Elrond

Use the resize partion option in PM8

MartinT-B 10:29 12 Feb 03

Actually whilst you're in there,

I'd rename the CD to X Y or Z, rename F as E and take the extra space from D if you can

Then use Driver mapper to sort of all the shorst-cuts etc.

If you take directly from F; as it is, it will take a very long time as PM will have to move all the software in F: and D: anyway.

Remember to back-up first

Ben Avery (Work) 10:31 12 Feb 03

Thanks - I'm not to au fait with PM8 so could you roughly run me through the processes you have spoken about?

Cheers buddy

BA

dth 11:36 12 Feb 03

What is the o/s? If it is NT then I think the maximum C drive is 2 gb.

MartinT-B 11:49 12 Feb 03

I have look up re-assigning drive letters - if you're running 98 it's not easy!

Might be better to leave it

Ref: PM

open program

There should be some options
along the bottom

Create new partition

Resize Partitions

Merge partitions

copy partition

redistribute freespace.

Guess which one you want?!

Click on resize partition and a Wizard should open.

You HAVE to take space away from one partition and create 'freespace' before you give it to another.

Think very carefully about what you need to do before you do it and back-up first.

My work PC (60GB) is

C: = 48gb (All programs and applications)
D: 1gb (swapfile)
E: 7gb (data storage)

balance is free space if I need it

Ben Avery (Work) 11:59 12 Feb 03

Win 200 Pro.

I'll give it a whirl and let you know how I get on.

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 11:59 12 Feb 03

windows "2000" pro

LOL

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…