Quick Graphics Card Question

BaboonBoy22 14:28 14 Aug 08

I'm getting a new graphics card in a couple of days. Just want to double check what I'm doing. Is it as simple as taking out the old one, putting in the new. when booted, install the software. then take off the software from old card?
Thanking you all in advance.

Technotiger 14:35 14 Aug 08
  Ditch999 14:51 14 Aug 08

Hope there is no retaining clip on the VGA slot if he follows that article!

"Grasp the card by the topmost edges and pull the card out of the slot – try to pull the card out in a straight 90-degree angle to avoid damaging the slot."

And if its an ATI card he also has to uninstall DAO from Add/Remove programmes as well as a few other ones:

Removing Old ATI Software

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall Utility, and click Change/Remove.
3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software.
5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO (see screenshot below).
7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

And dont forget that he may need to connect a power cable or two to the new card!

Baboonboy22
What card are you changing from and to? Are they both the same connection type ie PCIe or AGP?

BaboonBoy22 15:10 14 Aug 08

Thanks for that Technotiger.
I'm going from a ATI X700 Pro to a ATI HD 2600 XT. Both are PCIe x16 connections.

If you uninstall the drivers before swapping over the cards, isn't that just going to mess it up and you cant see anything? Or will it just be like your first boot BIG BIG BIG. (This machine was built from scratch, so I know about most of it, just never swapped over GPUs before)

Ditch999 15:16 14 Aug 08

The driver is used until you shut down even though you have uninstalled it. When you replace the card and boot up Windows uses its generic VGA driver (BIG BIG BIG) until you install the ATI one.

BTW When you restart the PC with the new card in, Cancel the Add New Hardware Wizard then run the ATI driver setup.

Dont know if a 2600XT requires a separate power cable attached or not.

BaboonBoy22 15:51 14 Aug 08

What's the best way to install the driver, download it from the mfu. website or just use the CD that I'm sure it will come with. or.. it doesn't matter

Technotiger 15:58 14 Aug 08

Downloaded from the makers site will probably give you a more up-to-date version of the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video