Question/s re media players

Sussex Dodo 12:42 01 Aug 09

I run Windows 2007 Ultimate on XP Pro and am reasonably computer literate. However, when it comes to using media players, I'm lost! My relatively new computer has RealPlayer installed and also Windows Media. When I click on download from BBC iPlayer or YouTube etc, RealPlayer appears not Windows Media Player. I'm totally confused about the two applications and have "lost" downloads in the past - not knowing where they have been filed. And as to saving/burning discs, forget it. smile> Is there a simple idiots guide anywhere that will tell me things like the difference between RealPlayer and Windows Media? Do I really need both? And how to operate my chosen Media app when I get it sorted? Thanks so much folks for any help you can offer.

lotvic 13:49 01 Aug 09

"I run Windows 2007 Ultimate on XP Pro"

Yup, it sure sounds as if you are lost.

I am still trying to understand the rest.
Do you not choose your own folder to save your downloads to? You should get an option to 'browse' to the folder of your choice when you download stuff.

It sounds as if RealPlayer must be set as your default player.

lotvic 14:05 01 Aug 09

Here is a start,

Info on BBC iPlayer click here

If you want to download a program to watch BBC iPlayer click here which is another player to install on your pc.

Sussex Dodo 14:09 01 Aug 09

Yes it is. I've tried to change it but no luck and "no" I haven't created a folder myself for downloads. Just assumed any downloads would automatically go into the Music folder in My Docs. Did not know you could choose where to download to. The last thing I tried to download (and lost) had a 3.mp3 file extension, so maybe that was my problem?

Thanks so much for your help

Sussex Dodo 14:14 01 Aug 09

Hi Lotvic
Yes, got iPlayer sussed with the shortcut on my desktop. No problems there, thanks. Automatically downloads to RealPlayer as you noted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…