Questions for gamers

Koochy 23:24 03 May 08

Hi all,
I have a new problem with Rainbow six Vegas 2
The original problem of the mouse jerking was solved with a new mouse.
Now when i play i am getting bad freezing and resulting in the death of my character.
I have ran click here
and it says my Lappy is more than capable of running the game so i don't know where to go from here.
I think i can remember someone on here before suggesting creating another user on the machine and only have the basics running but i have tried that and still it is freezing - any advice greatly received.
Windows Vista home premium
Intel Centrino core duo T5600 1.83Ghz
2 Gb Ram
NVidia GeForce go 7600 512Mb Card

wolfie3000 01:45 04 May 08

Try updating your Graphics card drivers.

click here

or it could be down to your laptop over heating.

Ditch999 13:00 04 May 08

As its a lappy I would not recommend updating your graphics card drivers from the Nvidia site. Use the makers site. Your problem is maybe down to your internet connection and the latency (ping) timings. If it is high the you get problems as you described, especially if there is a lot of action going on.

Koochy 14:33 04 May 08

Sorry forgot to mention that i am not playing online at the minute (nowhere near good enough for that) so would that still affect the game play.
One thing i have done is uninstall SP1 for Vista and that has made an improvement but it is still freezing although not as bad.
I have just been to the HP (maker of laptop) update tool and it did say there was an update for my graphics card so i will give that a go.

Thanks for the advice and i will post back to let you know the outcome.

K

Snec 14:55 04 May 08
  Koochy 15:32 04 May 08

Thanks for that but i am running Vista home premium is there a similar answer for Vista?
I have installed the updated driver for my graphics card and still no joy.
Would the resolution have anything to do with it? am i running too high/low resolution? the correct resolution for my monitor size is 1440x900 but i have the following available :-
1280 x 720 (Tried this one)
1152 x 864 (Tried this one)
1024 x 768 (Tried this one)
800 x 600 (Tried this one)
720 x 576 (just tried this one)
720 x 480
640 x 480
What is Antialiasing and would that make a difference?
I have 5 options available :-
None
Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and level 4 - at the minute i am on level 4 (Default setting)

Koochy 15:51 04 May 08

Sod it - i think i will just give it up as a bad job as i am getting a big bit annoyed with it all now, i think a PS3 or XBox 360 could be the order of the day here.

Koochy 17:22 04 May 08

Another change of plan - i am not going to give up so any further advice would be greatly received.

K

citadel 17:49 04 May 08

antialiasing is the system used by the graphics card to smooth jagged edges in games. unless you have a serious gaming rig leave it on 0 as it slows framerate.

Totally-braindead 18:23 04 May 08

I would check the game website as a lot of games have problems with the laptop graphics chipsets.

Personally I wouldn't have a laptop as I do play games and theres quite a few of the games I have that say something like " this game may not work with the laptop equivalents of desktop graphics cards, it might, it might not. Check the game websites for updates and patches".

Ditch999 19:15 04 May 08

I agree with citadel. Turn AA off. You can also try freeing RAM up by exiting programs in the startup tray beside the clock. When I play I shutdown my anti virus, my UPS, and my Belkin Network USB hub. Every little helps. Have you defragmented lately?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced