Questions About Recording Audio Into A PC...

bassfreeker 11:31 03 Nov 03

I am recording guitar straight into my PC soundcard. It works fine, but when I save the work it is huge! about 30 seconds of .wav audio recorded this way works out to be about 3MB! A normal 3 MINUTE Mp3 is about 3MB! Is there anyway I can shrink the way I save it as it is killing my hard-drive! also does anyone know a good audio editor so I could add effects to my guitar? thank you

Peverelli 11:56 03 Nov 03

WAV files are uncompressed and average about 10Mb per minute, whereas MP3 is compressed at about 1 Mb per minute. You need a WAV to MP3 converter (have a look here: click here )

What soundcard do you have? My Creative Audigy 2 has a "Wave Studio" program included which allows me to convert recorded WAV files to MP3 format.

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2.0 is well recommended (haven't tried it myself) click here and I believe will convert to MP3.

Peverelli 12:00 03 Nov 03
  Pesala 12:01 03 Nov 03

30 seconds of WAV = only 3 Mbyte so how about installing another 512 Mbytes of RAM and recording to a RAM drive? That should save your hard disk thrashing about. Then convert the wav file to MP3 and save it to the hard disk.

An even wilder thought. Use a midi keyboard to try out your ideas and record as midi files, until you get it right. Someone I knew in the days of Windows 3.1 used to write his music on a computer keyboard using some sofware called Noteworthy Composer. It wrote the musical notation on staves, and he could edit it, and play it back from any point using a variety of instruments on his sound card.

I am not suggesting that you give up the guitar, just use tools more suited to computers.

Peverelli 13:27 03 Nov 03

You can of course record an hour's worth of guitar music and then burn the results to CD and then delete the .wav files from your hard disk.

I use Cubase Go! which combines midi with multitrack audio. A three minute song using 8 tracks of audio and 8 tracks of midi can be as big as 250 Mb.

ben37 16:51 03 Nov 03

Sound forge is excellent for converting audio files and adding effects.....

Peverelli 00:09 04 Nov 03

Converting wav to mp3. It looks like this can do it. Free download. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…