Question Time

Maelstrom 01:36 01 Oct 03

Ive decided to buy a P4 2.ghz processor with my new PC but im wondering how the RAM works, im thinking of ordering a 1GIG of RAM but would like to know if the 2.4ghz procesor can utilize all of the RAM, without looking into ur crystal ball im sure uve gussed that im not fully aware how all of this works, however any help is appreciated.

Djohn 01:53 01 Oct 03

One of the main advantages of having plenty of memory is when working with graphics or video editing.It will save your system from constantly writing to, reading from the hard drive.

In normal use it will mean that you can keep several programs open and minimised to the taskbar, ready for instant use, rather than closing and opening them again. I have 1gb of mem. and generally on opening a program in a morning, I keep it open if I'm going to be using it again through the day.

So I at times have a couple of word programs open plus Publisher, maybe excel, and two websites open, this one and either BBCi or my local area website for up to-date info. Not necessary I know, but useful j.

Forum Editor 01:53 01 Oct 03

The CPU will have no problem - it's the operating system (and before that the BIOS) which deals with RAM.

Provided your motherboard will support that amount - and it will,as it's a new one. And the operating system will do the same - which it will, because it will be Windows XP - you'll have no problems.

Make sure that you get the right type of RAM for your motherboard.

In view of the fact that you're (in your own words) not fully aware how all this works, it might help to give a brief explanation of what RAM does.

Random Access Memory (RAM) could be termed temporary memory, in that everything it holds is lost when the computer is powered down.

When you launch a program, the operating system takes it from the hard drive and loads it into RAM - or at least those parts of the program that it needs at the time. As you work, Windows manages the RAM, switching program elements back and forth between RAM and hard drive. It does this because programs run faster from RAM than they would if they ran straight from the hard drive.

As you work, your file is held in RAM, and unless you save it to your hard drive, or to removeable media, it will be lost when you close the program that generated it, or when you shut the computer down.

That's an over-simplified explanation, but I hope it helps a little.

Maelstrom 20:45 01 Oct 03

Thanks for the help, the advice ive received here has given me all the info I need maybe one day I can return the favour ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…