Question Time

Maelstrom 18:29 13 Aug 03

Like the average PC buyer im to lazy to learn how to build a PC and im quite happy to get ripped off by the spotty kid in PC world, however ive found a go-between by asking some1 I know to build one for me.

My problem is I need to know exactly what is available to me, here is a list of my wants and im hoping some1 can tell me the limits

RAM - 512 OR 1024
G Card - FX5900
H drive - 40 gig+
Processor - As high as possible

Now I know this is a fairly basic description so I need help in deciding the perfect Motherboard and processor.

Any help is appreciated

xania 20:10 13 Aug 03

Sorry, but you've got this all wrong. Firstly, what do you want the computer to do? If you don't know this, how can you know what to buy? Do you want to access the internet? How? Do you want to play games? Do you want CAD? Do you want to have office facilities? Do you want to watch TV or films? Do you want a combination? What sort of attachments do you want? Printer, scanner, 3-in-one, modem, camera, zip drive, CD, CD-RW, DVD, DVD Writer?

Have you thought about the operating system. There's quite a lot of choice, and your decision could affect the amount and type of memory you will need.

As to your mobo, even here you have options to consider. How important is the quality of sound and graphics - this will dictate whether you can accept on-board or need expansion cards. Do you want to network?

Now for the tricky ones. Intel or AMD? Are you thinking about future-proofing, or worse still, over-clocking?

Only then can you start thinking about a mobo.

What about the monitor? What size screen, and are you thinking Flat screen or CRT - the latter can be quite cheap comparatively, if you've got the space for it.

Finally, make sure you get everything agreed between you first in writing, including costs. This can be a good way of breaking a good friendship. And, while you're about it, how about working with him - next time you can do it yourself!

Good luck!

Mino 20:14 13 Aug 03

According to their TV ads, you'll get a cracking machine for £650 - with a worldwide support reputation to boot - just in case.

Brilliant response, esp last paragraph.

Ken Ju-On 20:40 13 Aug 03

In a nutshell, say what you'll be using the computer for. Then I or other users here will be more than happy to suggest what you should go for.

Ken Ju-On 20:48 13 Aug 03

Okay, I should be more helpful than that, but really it depends too much on what you're gonna use it for. You sound like you want a high-end killer system capable of playing the latest games. If you've got that attitude and the money, then go for the specifications you mentioned and a Pentium IV 2.6 or Athlon XP 2600+.

I'm not a devoted gamer but I do like applications to load quickly and processes to finish fast. So I settled for an Athlon XP 2600+, 512 MB DDR RAM, 18.1" TFT monitor (LG), 64 MB GeForce 4 Ti 4200, and 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. I bought mine from Evesham - Evesham's a reputable manufacturer in the UK and they charge less than the popular international companies like Sony, Dell and HP. But I want to take my computer to Jamaica and it's 115 VAC there, so I had to install a new dual-voltage PSU since theirs accepts only 230 VAC input.

Afterwards, I realized that I could've lived and saved a couple of hundred quid by just going for an Athlon XP 2200+, 17" TFT monitor and 60 GB hard drive.

This is just my particular experience; hopefully sharing my computer-hunting experience has helped you decide. :)

Maelstrom 22:36 13 Aug 03

Ok clearly the detail in my question leaves a lot to be desired for, Im looking for a high spec PC to use as a games machine, I will be using internet access and ive got both NT and XP and have been informed NT is a better choice.

As for the monitor and the cd/dvd drive I have those issues resolved

Intel or AMD? to be honest I go by what I know and I know very little concerning Intel and AMD, as I said money isnt to big a problem so I'd like to know which motherboards and processors have been tried and tested and are compatible with each other.

As usual all help has been and will be appreciated, thanks.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:57 13 Aug 03

You are doing yourself no favours here, may I quote....'Like the average PC buyer im to lazy to learn how to build a PC and im quite happy to get ripped off by the spotty kid in PC world, however ive found a go-between by asking some1 I know to build one for me'(sic)...obviously you are too lazy to build one yourself then and refering to PCWorld as a rip-off place [populated by spotty kids only reinforces your staggering lack of computer knowledge. I have bought 16 computers from there and suprisingly, most of the assistants that I have spoken to have forgotten more than you know and PCWs prices are excellent assuming that the buyer does a little research.

As you have never shopped there I would suggest that you wait until they start flogging the famed Medions and snap one up. I seem to recall many discussions on here concerning the cost differences of building at hoe and buying from a retailer and he differences were virtually zilch...but of course your 'friend' will know this won't he? If your friend is such a good assembler (people assemble computers, they do not build them) why can you not ask him the questions as he ought to know. If I were you I would buy an off the shelf one and save yourself loads of hassle.

Maelstrom 23:52 13 Aug 03

GANDALF I will ask you kindly not to divert my thread form its original subject, secondly if you cant help you shouldnt post here and thirdly not only did I buy my PC from PC world I worked there for 4 months and finally please dont make assumptions about other people when you clearly have no idea what your talking about.

Now can we revert back to the original subject please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…