A question on supplied instructions with hardware

Andsome 13:22 04 Feb 03

Am I the only person who gets completely baffled with the hardware instructions supplied on CD? I have just purchased an Epson Perfection 1660 photo scanner. If you have never used a particular type of hardware before, and buy a quality product with good facilities, it is very difficult trying to carry out tasks, whilst clicking from the scanner to one software program, then to another, then back to the scanner again. What on earth was wrong with the good old fashioned instruction booklet?? For the price that I have payed for this scanner, a fiver more for a comprehensive booklet would not have been a hardship. When I bought my old Epson 460 printer the booklet was extremely useful. Having recently purchased an Epson Photo 830 printer, I was surprised at the poor leaflet provided. As a printer user of some years experience however I had no problems. This scanner however has so far defied me, as an absolute beginner to the technology. I sent an e-mail to the Epson helpline last Thursday and another yesterday. Yes you've guessed it, no answer to date. Please manufacturers, lets have good old fashioned booklets back, it won't add all that much to the price.

Djohn 13:31 04 Feb 03

Good afternoon Andsome, I know this is not the answer to the question you have posted, but I think you will find the manual is available on the CD to print off yourself. I did this for my scanner, *Canon* and the software program as well, found it to be a great help in getting used to the new equipment. Regards. J.

Andsome 13:33 04 Feb 03

I can print it without problem, I just wonder how much paper I would need.

Sir Radfordin™ 13:39 04 Feb 03

It is a pain, but its a cost saving and just think of the environment as well :)

It may not cost much to print the manual, but there is the extra weight it adds to shipping etc etc.

Its also the case that a manual that is printed is out of date days afterwards. If a CD version is supplied it can be updated far quicker, and changes made as needs are identified.

There are some +ve and some -ve to both, but I think paperless manuals are the way we are going to go.

€dstow 13:49 04 Feb 03

They want you to use their ink in printing it out - obvious really!!;-)))

€d

Andsome 13:54 04 Feb 03

Another problem with trying to print the instructions is that they are all in sub categories, and would not print out as one item. Ah well I'm putting the damned thing away now and going to the cinema!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Djohn 14:03 04 Feb 03

Andsome, mine printed out in PDF, so the pages came out correctly numbered and with a contents list as well.

One took 40 pages and the software one, I think, 58 pages. A fair bit of printing but well worth the effort. then a clear plastic cover and spine binder, and you have the finished job. J.

Djohn 14:06 04 Feb 03

Andsome, mine printed out in PDF, so the pages came out correctly numbered and with a contents list as well.

Don't print the instructions or help as you see them on screen, but from the CD itself, should be there in PDF layout, so you get a proper manual.

One took 40 pages and the software one, I think, 58 pages. A fair bit of printing but well worth the effort. then a clear plastic cover and spine binder, and you have the finished job. J.

Djohn 14:08 04 Feb 03

Ooops! sorry. :o(

sil_ver 14:10 04 Feb 03

I've got this scanner/printer combo as well and they run fine on both 98SE and WinXP. My only problem is that on XP the scanner will keep coming out of standby as soon as goes into it. Like you, an e-mail to Epson weeks ago has elicited no response to date.

sil_ver 14:13 04 Feb 03

Can you not print the instructions to file and then cut out the dead wood and print everything relevent?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…