Question re using Ni-MH battery charger abroad

Nosmas 18:12 04 Jun 04

I am contemplating the purchase of a charger - click here - for the Ni-MH batteries used in my digital camera, and for most of the time it will be used in this country. Please can someone tell me what to expect if it is used on holiday abroad where mains voltages are sometimes less than the UK's 220 - 240 volts.

Am I right in thinking that the output from the mains adaptor will be at a lower voltage but still sufficient to recharge the batteries, and that the charging time will accordingly be somewhat longer? If this is the case, presumably it will not harm the batteries?

I appreciate that it is possible to buy chargers with mains adaptors that can be used with variable mains voltages, but I rather favour the DigiSpeed 4 model as it has the latest microprocessor controlled technology, an inbuilt fan cooling device which will help to prolong the life of the batteries and comes with a three year warranty. I understand that with this type of charger it is possible to leave the batteries on permanent (trickle) charge as the technology will keep them just topped up and immediately ready for use.

SANTOS7 18:15 04 Jun 04

argos extra, page 1278 item 8 compat for worldwide use, going to buy one for myself, hope this helps

hssutton 18:21 04 Jun 04

You will have no problems using this in europe, just make sure you take a suitable adaptor. If your travels take you further afield go for the Energy 4 Traveller Charger, I have the earlier model which is excellent, it always goes with me on my travels.

Valvegrid 18:23 04 Jun 04

Just a thought, I notice in the technical spec it works on 12 - 18 volts. If you're going to hire car you could use the ciggy socket to charge the batteries, you won't have to worry about the iffy mains voltages.

User-312386 18:24 04 Jun 04

that is a very expensive NI-MH battery charger click here for a nice cheap one

they all do the same job

User-312386 18:26 04 Jun 04

sorry forgot to say

In Europe you can use a normal charger, with a mains adaptor click here the one that i have just clicked on is even compliant with USA

SANTOS7 18:27 04 Jun 04

but do they all charge the 2300 Ni-MH batteries

Gongoozler 18:31 04 Jun 04

I use this one from 7dayshop click here. It even lets me charge my batteries from the car cigarette lighter socket.

Gongoozler 18:40 04 Jun 04

This Globe Trotter charger from UniRoss looks interesting click here. The input voltage range is 100-240V AC - 50/60Hz, and the site has a contact email address click here.

Nosmas 20:43 04 Jun 04

Thanks for your input. "They all do the same job" - but in different ways, according to the technology used. I don't wish to pay an unduly high price although I realise that the charger I have indicated is rather expensive, but so are similar models from other makers. I already have a Uniross charger, but it works on a "timer" basis and takes about 5 hours to charge a set of batteries. If one puts in a set of half-discharged batteries, they get the full 5 hours charge and are thus overcharged and this depletes their life. Also the batteries get rather hot during this charging time. Good info re different types of chargers is on click here

I have looked at the Uniross site and their various chargers, but none of them appears to use the same technology as the Ansmann DigiSpeed 4. Also Uniross on their 'info pages' recommend removing the batteries once they are charged. This means that they immediately start to lose their charge even without being used.

The DigiSpeed model has four independent charging circuits, and is able to detect the state of charge of each battery and adjust the charging rate. If a partially discharged battery is inserted it will be 'topped up' and not overcharged, thus prolonging its life. I understand that the batteries can be left on permanent (trickle) charge and are therefore immediately ready for use when required.

The Ansmann charger price includes 4 x 2200mAh batteries and also a lead to connect it to the car cigarette lighter socket and has a 3 year warranty. It also has fan assisted cooling.

hssutton - thanks for your suggestion which looks worth further investigation, and it's possibly a bit cheaper.

My thanks to all other contributors and their suggestions, but can anyone else answer my initial questions re using a charger designed for UK mains voltages, on a lower voltage?

wags 21:01 04 Jun 04

I have recently come back from the Far East and my bog standard Jessops charger along with a £2.99 travel plug adapter worked just fine with charging 2000 NiMH batteries. I had it on constant charge for 3 weeks, what with 2 digital cameras and the kids' two Game Boy Advances to keep going!

The batteries are fine, as is the charger (no harm done) and the charge time was not that different to UK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…