Question re PCMCIA WiFi Cards

six-h 17:58 18 Oct 10

One of my laptops connects to th'internet with one of these.
If I install the driver and slip the card into another laptop, does my router "detect" a different device, or just the same card?

Reason I ask is that I recall only being able to set up the card in my laptop over a LAN connection.

The other lappy doesn't have an RJ45 socket, however it does have a 10/100 IBM Etherjet 32bit PCMCIA card.....but I don't have the adapter that plugs in to the edge of the card to provide the RJ45 connection like this:-click here

woodchip 18:02 18 Oct 10

It would be same as loading a new Card, it will not keep settings for other computer

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 18 Oct 10

Your router will detect the same card

but you will have to set the router "key" in the software for the card on the new laptop (windows wireless configuration or third party software for the card which ever you use.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 18 Oct 10

PS

you will only need to do it once for each machine, then you can swap the card from laptop to laptop and it will work every time.

six-h 14:13 19 Oct 10

Lordy!
I always get in such a mess with WiFi.
I've once got the wireless card working on the other laptop, but on re-boot, it can't connect, windows says it can't repair the installation and I end up having to go through installing it via the Linksys interface again.
I just know that when I installed it on the original laptop, wireless zero installed it.
Now each time it installs, the connection is one number higher, as if there are other networks configured, I'm currently on "Network Connection (3)"

six-h 15:11 19 Oct 10

Correction, connection No4!!
Can anyone help me to correctly install this card and remove the four connections I apparently have! lol

six-h 16:38 19 Oct 10

Guess that's a "no" then! ;-)

woodchip 22:23 19 Oct 10

Windows Cannot Repair it, You need to use the Software Icon in the System Tray that it setup when you installed the Drivers.

six-h 12:57 20 Oct 10

woodchip, that's the trouble, doing that I get a connection, but it dies when I switch off.
I have to do it all again when I next boot, and the connection number goes up one each time.
The other lappy was set up differently, and the connection is always there when ever I boot up.

I think it has something to do with the way the drivers are installed, and the Windows Zero Config. Utility, but I dont know how to set it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…