Question re Malwarebytes

oo7juk 11:13 07 Sep 09

Hi,

My friends PC was running really slow and her fan was making a noise. She has had the unit for 2 years and apart from installing Anti-Virus on machine she hasn't installed any other performance related software.

I opened the unit and the fan, power supply was full of dust (quite a lot).

I gave it a quick clean and boted machine up and it sounded a lot better.

I ran Malwarebytes to get machine running better, but I aborted the scan after 6 hours. It found 25 objects but I feel it took too long to run.

Any ideas if anything could be prventing the proper running of software.

She has two HD's her C is 30gb, but is full due to her son installing games to that drive.

Thanks,

birdface 11:30 07 Sep 09

If her C Drive is full that is probably what is causing the problem.maybe run C Cleaner to get rid of some of the junk.
Not sure if malwarebytes will run any faster in safe mode but worth a try.

ambra4 11:33 07 Sep 09

Un-install some of the games to make space do a major clean up on the drive and defrag both drives

Advanced SystemCare Free 3.3.4

click here;pop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 07 Sep 09

1. Software

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubVistaXp click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…