Question Re Fat32 & NTFS

Wak 15:34 27 Oct 06

Hi, I'm hoping someone can clarify something I'm not very conversant with?
I know that there is Fat32 (for Win 98SE) and NTFS (for Win XP) but if you partition your hard drive and install both systems, is it best to use Fat 32 for both systems so that files can be transfered across if necessary, or doesn't it really matter?
Another point is that, at the moment, I use a separate in-built hard drive so that I can CLONE my Win 98SE system to it (with XXCOPY) for a total back-up of system, registry, programs and files, etc.
The question is, if I had both Win 98 and XP installed on the main drive, would I still be able to CLONE either operating system to the separate drive and would it be able to cope with both Fat 32 and NTFS?? Or is this a good reason to leave them both on Fat32?
I know that Win XP has a Restore system but it's not 100% infallible and I might possibly prefer to use the CLONING operation as a more reliable back-up method.

Any comments will be very much appreciated.
Wak.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:53 27 Oct 06

1. win98 cannot see a partition formatted as NTFS so if you want to transfer files between systems the they both need to be Fat32. XP can see both.

2. if you want to run a dual boot system the C: dive must be Fat32 to install the win98 statrup files.

3. XXcopy is for the older systems, XXclone is for XP however Acronis true image will work on either.

Wak 16:07 27 Oct 06

Thanks very much for the info, Fruit Bat.
It told me just what I wanted to know so will stick to Fat 32.
I was also aware of XXCLONE for XP but didn't know if they would mix or not.
I fortunately downloaded the FREE Acronis program when it was offered a short while ago so will bear that in mind when the time comes.
Thanks again,
Wak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…