Question on a certain folder

vinnyo123 21:19 14 Oct 04

Someone recently asked me a question and I figure I come here for some quick responses as always.I'll post the question and please feel free to comment. I havent had time to research myself but it looks to be something to do with system files or retore point but I am not sure.I also do not have the OS they are running yet I would post it as soon as I find out.Well here it goes.

"There is a folder on my hard drive called “_RESTORE” and within it a folder named “ARCHIVE”.

I’ve discovered that in the ARCHIVE folder there are hundreds upon hundreds of files/folders(?) all with the name format:

RG1002598863 (each one is numbered differently)

The problem I’ve discovered is that a new one is added every 10 hours, on some sort of schedule, and has been happening since 2001!!

Each file/folder is approximately 7Mbit in size but with each new addition there is a slight increase in size, with the latest today being 8.31M.

When I ‘double-click’ each file/folder it contains the following items:

CLASSES

DESKTOP

POWERPNT

REGSNAPSHOT

SYSTEM

System

USER

WAVEMIX

WIN

If I right-click on the above it only gives me options to COPY or EXTRACT.

If I right click on the RG1002598863 file/folder and look at it’s properties, it tells me it’s a Cabinet file, opens with explorer and has the ‘Archive’ attribute.

If I try to delete any of the above it tells me that the source file is in use!

I guess it is auto-archiving something regularly every 10 hours, but I have searched and have no idea what; it is nothing that I have set up (knowingly!).

The bottom line is that I have about 198M of an 18G hard drive left, and it’s disappearing rapidly!!

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks."

Comments: as always thanks in advance.

powerless 21:20 14 Oct 04

They are System Restore points and you can delete them if you want.

VoG II 21:26 14 Oct 04

Yep have a read of this "discussion" click here

vinnyo123 00:18 15 Oct 04

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…