//some 3rd party need geo

question about zip files

mco 17:23 25 Jun 06

I know how to unzip so I'm sure I'll be able to zip - I know this means compressing files. I have a 10MB limit on uploading to a certain website. Sure this is a silly question but - if I zip it and compress my file ,does that then make it smaller so I can upload a file over 10MB - or not?

Joe R 17:26 25 Jun 06

mco,

yes it will make the file smaller, but, to keep it a good quality, the compression is only around 10 percent or so.

ade.h 17:27 25 Jun 06

Hi mco. Yes, it makes it physically smaller by removing some extraneous data and appending it to the files. You can zip stuff very easily in XP; there are various slightly different methods depending on what/how/where but I tend to select a group of files and right-click one of them, then choose Send To... and select Compressed Folder. You can do the same with an existing folder, which will make a compressed copy of it.

mco 17:35 25 Jun 06

..it's a 30MB wmv file which I want to upload to school VLE that only accepts files up to 10MB. I could upload it to one of my own sites but don't see why I should really, unless absolutely necessary. Thanks

wee eddie 17:57 25 Jun 06

click here

then you could post it in bits

DieSse 19:58 25 Jun 06

wmv files are already compressed. It's unlikely that zipping will compress it much more - it certainly won't get it from 30MB down to 10MB.

Incidentally Zip is a lossless compression system - nothing whatsoever is lost from the original file.

If your limit is 10MB, is this an upload only limit, or the maximum file size you're allowed to use - if the latter you have an insoluble problem.

mco 20:42 25 Jun 06

..I can't upload individual files bigger than 10MB. Never mind, I'll upload them somewhere else and link to them. Thanks.

duvat 22:05 30 Jun 06

I recently purchased a webcam thru' ebay,when I tried to use the cd-my system windows xp issued a warning-I then contacted the seller who sent me a list of three drivers, which ended with the term "zip" and when I downloaded the first one,it was at 28mb,this plus the other two would have been 80mb approx. would this use up memory space on my hard drive?-I don't know anything about zipping or unzipping files. Please help

ade.h 22:35 30 Jun 06

click here Please start your own thread.

ade.h 16:09 01 Jul 06

Please do not send unsolicited messages to forum members unless strictly necessary. You are welcome to ask a forum member if you can send a personal message if you need to do so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…