question about the wireless on my laptop

ikle_pixie 20:30 27 Jun 05

Hi, wireless is all new to me. So can someone point me to some information for beginners and could you answer my questions.

I have a compaq presario 2000. I have a button to turn my wireless on and off. Now i've just turned it on and picked up someones wireless network. So i kinda paniced and turned mine off because if i can see them, surely they can see me? My laptop wasn't connected to my my network (which is wired) or internet at the time.

So was i right in thinking that they would be able to see me?
As long as my wireless is off am i safe?
How can i protect myself if i wish to use my wireless? It has Norton security centre on there. I wont be using it at home cus i dont have a wireless network. We use one at work and i'm assuming thats what the encryption key is for.

ikle_pixie 21:02 27 Jun 05

bump

VoG II 21:10 27 Jun 05

Didn't you get dire warnings that you were going to connect to an unsecure connection?

Are you using a VPN - if so I believe that these are normally encrypted (mine is) so even if the wireless connection's owner could "see" you, they wouldn't be able to "see" your files, communications etc. So you can connect to the net at their expense.

ikle_pixie 21:45 27 Jun 05

what happened was i turned on my laptop and then the wireless connection box popped up with a connection i could connect to, i'd obviously not turned it off when i left work. How far can these things reach?

ikle_pixie 21:47 27 Jun 05

It says its an unsecured wireless network and is set for open access. Information that is sent over could be visible to others.

so i can see them and they would see me...

VoG II 21:51 27 Jun 05

So don't connect to it and advise your neighbour that they have an unsecure connection.

Whilst they may be able to "see" that you are connected I doubt that they can see the details of your computer.

ikle_pixie 21:54 27 Jun 05

:)

do you know any good hotspot finder websites?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…