question about routers

WaiKent 21:28 27 Sep 03

Hi, i have two PCs at home and a 150k connection with NTL. if i was to get a router, there would be a WAN port which i connect to the MODEM itself, and the extra LAN ports which i connect to each PC's ethernet card. and then would the connection just work on the PCs automatically or do i have to enter the internet explorer LAN settings and configure the ip myself. Also, if i wanted a firewall on this server, then which PC should i install it to, or should i install it to both of them. If these are connected then which one is the actual server? or is there one at all. is a router just for sharing an internet connection or is it really a network? SORRY for all these questions. got carried away.

A15 22:21 27 Sep 03

Your NTL cable feed would connect to your modem. The modem would then be connected to your router. Your router would also have a connection to each PC, assuming you buy a hardwired router.

The router acts as a DHCP server. When you install your router you will access it's settings through an IP address entered into Internet Explorer, this will access the routers internal software/settings & allow you to set up the router. From this point you should clone the MAC address of the NIC that was connected directly to your modem before. You should now be able to connect to the internet on both your PC's (in theory!)

Some routers have a built in hardware firewall, but you should still install software firewalls on each PC that connects to the internet. There are plenty of free firewalls around that will do the job very well, I use Sygate standard.

The router will act as a DHCP server on your network, I say network because you will be able to connect to each computer through the router if set up correctly. DHCP is, I think Domain Host Control Protocol, but don't ask me what it means, networking gives me headaches!! Somebody else on here will be able to explain it better I am sure.

Forum Editor 22:29 27 Sep 03

is an Internet protocol for automating the configuration of computers that use TCP/IP. DHCP can be used to automatically assign IP addresses, and to deliver TCP/IP stack configuration parameters such as the subnet mask and default router.

So that's OK then isn't it?

When you set up your router you'll find that it's far easier than it sounds. The HTML page that you'll access to do the setup will walk you through the procedure, and I'm sure you'll have no problems. Neither PC will be a server - they don't even need to be on at the same time. You'll be able to acces the internet from either (or both) of them, as long as the router is switched on.

Forum Editor 22:31 27 Sep 03

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, by the way.

WaiKent 10:24 28 Sep 03

thanks for the help guys. i will try that and it does seem pretty simple.

SEASHANTY 13:49 28 Sep 03

That appears to be the best and simplest explanation of how to set up a non-wireless connection between two or more PC's that there has been on this site in a long time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…