Question about Partitioning Drives:

Mad Boy 12:47 29 Apr 03

I have used partition Magic before, but recently I had to format my PC. Anyway I still have these drives:

C:WINDOWS
D:EXTRAS
E:CRAIGS
F:CD-ROM
G:CD-WRITER

Now then, i want to remove D:EXTRAS by deleting the partition but if i do so what will happen? Will the drives E:CRAIGS and the F: & G: fall a letter down so now E:CRAIGS is actually D:CRAIGS? and once that has being done does all my shortcuts that were linked to E: will they work?

Thanks for going through this thanks

HighTower 12:56 29 Apr 03

Do you still have partition magic? If so it has a utility called drive mapper which will update all of your shortcuts when you merge a partition and your drive letters change.

Paranoid Android 13:04 29 Apr 03

Yes. In fact you would probably be better off deleting the data on D: and relabelling it CRAIGS, and moving all your data from E: to D:

Shortcuts to documents should update to D: automatically when you move the target documents, any applications can be moved over using MagicMover.

Then you can safely remove E: and your hard disk drive letters will not change.

If you allocate the space from E: to D: it will be fairly quick. If you allocate it to C: it will take a lot longer because partition D: will have to be moved up.

The CD drive letters will drop by one letter but these can be re-set to F: and G: in the drive properties.

Marvin

Paranoid Android 13:05 29 Apr 03

Crossed.

Mad Boy 13:06 29 Apr 03

Thanks, thats enough info cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009