question about modems please

rosie12 19:45 01 Feb 06

Hi, I am in the process of choosing my options for a dell comp. On the one I have chosen its saying there is no modem and do I want one, I will be using broadband so I dont need one do I ?......confused as usual:-) Thanks

stalion 19:48 01 Feb 06

if you are going to setup broadband you will need an asdl modem usually provided by your broadband supplier when signing up these connect via usb external connection

oldal 19:49 01 Feb 06

Most Isp's supply a free modem when you subscibe. So, no you don't need one.

Skyver 19:50 01 Feb 06

If you ever need to send the odd fax, or your broadband connection drops for any reason and your ISP supplies a free dialup number (Telewest do) it might be useful, otherwise don't bother. Make sure you specify `Recovery disk` amongst all the options,only about £6, well worth it.

rosie12 19:50 01 Feb 06

Thanks Oldal.....

woodchip 19:50 01 Feb 06

A Dial-Up Modem should come cheap, and you can only send a Fax with one. Fax does not work with Broad Band

rosie12 20:01 01 Feb 06

Thanks everyone......xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…